Arthur's Toys

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Fresmantic

Re: Arthurs' Toy Store

Post by Fresmantic » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:30 am

I grew up with Arthur's Toys - the location on Blackstone that's now Whitey's Pets. I remember Arthur's was a great mix of high end toys and just plain fun stuff. Along with the usual board games and yo-yos', there were fancy dolls and little model steam engines. As a kid I wondered "who buys those steam things?" I remember during Christmastime they would put up a moving display in their window - these little figures rising up and down from inside these boxes. In later years they left the display up all year long - but it wasn't running. I remember my family driving to Arthur's just to see the display one Christmas. When I got bigger I remember getting lead figures to play Dungeons & Dragons when it first came out. They were kept in a glass counter. When I walk through Whitey's now I can still remember the section where that counter was. It was a special store and I had a lot of fun visits.

Big J

Re: Arthurs' Toy Store

Post by Big J » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Does anyone know anything about the people who owned Arthur's? Just wondering, always been curious. They bounced around a ton at the very end and even just did pool supplies for a time!

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added from 1969 showing Arthur's ad for a swimming pool.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Thu__Jun_26__1969_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Thur. June 26, 1969 - Arthur's Pool ad

Rams

Re: Arthur's Toys

Post by Rams » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Any pictures of when it was on Chestnut?

VinQ

Post by VinQ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:59 am

Hi Lindsay (hope you get this message); I have fond memories remember your father Brent, at the Fulton Mall Store in the early 70's. He helped me numerous times with models and slot cars. He was very kind and fun. Is he still with you? If so give him a hug for me.

Marinemom123

Post by Marinemom123 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:11 am

I'm a bit older than those posting so far...cuz, I remember Authors as being on the south side of Broadway, just north of Kern or maybe Tulare avenues. My mother put some fancy dolls on "Lay-a-way" for my sister and me. The store manager would bring the dolls out and let us play with them every time my mom went in to make a payment, what a nice kind thing to do. It had to be in the early 1950s.
Attachments
arthurs northgate.jpg
Fresno Bee - May 3, 1970

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:42 pm

You might be remembering Grand Central Toys, just NW of the Crest Theater.

Vinnyq@

Post by Vinnyq@ » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:19 pm

I remember Cameron's Toys it was on Tulare Street across from the old Coney Island Hot Dogs in Downtown. Then they moved to the Fulton Mall location near a men's clothing store and the new (what was then Long's Drugs).

Jibbajaba

Post by Jibbajaba » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:02 pm

I used to go to the one on Blackstone & Barstow because I lived in the area. I don't remember ever going into the store on Chestnut but remember driving by it from time to time and for some reason I thought it looked cooler. I think they sold more pool stuff there than they did at the n. Blackstone location, but I could be wrong.

ccamla2@bak.rr.com

Arthur's Toys

Post by ccamla2@bak.rr.com » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 am

I remember clearly today, when I was living in the neighborhood of Palm & Clinton in the late 1960's When I was done collecting for my newspaper routes from the Bee and Fresno Guide, I would ride my bike all the way over to Shields and Blackstone. First I'd get a double cheeseburger, fries, and a Chocolate shake from McDonalds. When finished, I go across the way to Arthur's Toy's and spent agonizing time over which military Airfix military figure sets I'd buy. Most of them costs only $1.00 each. What a shame when Arthur's Toys was sold. Some years later I moved to Bakersfield and found that the new owner had opened a store next to Montgomery Wards. Sometime after that the store burned down under mysterious circumstances. The then owner was charged with Arson.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:33 pm

I remember there was an Arthur's Toys at the kind of in the back of the Ashlan Park Shopping Center back in the 1990s, when I first moved to Fresno. It's long gone, now, along with a whole lot of other things that used to make Ashlan Park much better than it is, today.