Kmart Shopping Centers

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Bill93728

Kmart Shopping Centers

Post by Bill93728 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 am

I remember Northgate but I don't remember the names at Chestnut and Kings Canton, maybe Eastgate and then the one at Olive and Motel Drive. Any one remember.

Sharlsie

Re: Kmart Shopping Centers

Post by Sharlsie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:51 pm

I think it was Eastgate. I never even knew there any other Kmarts in Fresno except that one. :>)

Big J

Post by Big J » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Did the "-gate" names come from K-Mart being there somehow??

tom

Post by tom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 am

loved the submarine sandwiches. my sunday school teacher mrs.Hoover used to work the little security station sometimes in the front.

mrduck77

Post by mrduck77 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:21 am

I recall shopping with my mom at all three (the one on Blackstone, the one by Roeding Park, and the other one near olive or so?). The one near Arthur's toys (forgive me if I'm wrong) we would always get those soggy subway type sandwiches with the banana peppers. I remember the power going out one time from a bad rain storm there, and the flood lights (backup) turned on and we all had to go to the front. The one of Blackstone my mom would immediately go to the food court (near the back of the store) and get a soda (extra ice) and that tapioca pudding, to which we would then set down and eat, and I would stare at all the paint cans aisle to the right of the food court. I hated looking at all the womens clothes because I had to stay by her cart (west section of store from entry point). To the east section of store there was a book section and finally, as I got older, I was able to browse the books. I swear we went there a couple times a week. I guess mom decided to switch it up a bit by taking me with her to the one near Roeding park (after the tracks heading West). Not too many vivid memories there though, except a few big sales she was exited about. Anyone have pics of these locations? As a kid I really liked the big K-Mart sign on the blackstone one. Oh, and during Christmas time she always bought those nasty hard candies there that stuck to your teeth and took like 10 toothbrushings to get rid of.

FresnoLetMeGo

Post by FresnoLetMeGo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 am

How on earth did they make those cheap subs so delicious and everyone was exactly like the last, wish I could copy the "Secret".

senpaidonna

Post by senpaidonna » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:40 am

Those sub sandwiches looked not so great, but they tasted so good! Though I must say I never found the "ham" in the deli case to be very appealing....a big square ham with some sort of reddish brown sauce oozing across it, topped with a pineapple ring and a cherry on top. I also liked to go to the cafeteria at the back of the one in Eastgate. Good salisbury steak!

JWfresno

Post by JWfresno » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:24 pm

You're right, Eastgate is the one on Kings Canyon. Had good sub sandwiches at the time. Went to the last KMart in Fresno/Clovis in Dec 2014. The snack bar is gone. So sad.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Thu__May_9__1968_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Thur. May 9, 1968 - Kmart ad

Rob Hernandez

Post by Rob Hernandez » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:01 pm

tom wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 am
loved the submarine sandwiches. my sunday school teacher mrs.Hoover used to work the little security station sometimes in the front.
I remember those too. They had finely shredded lettuce.