Coffee's Mens and Womens Clothing

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
pduval65

Coffee's Mens and Womens Clothing

Post by pduval65 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

The place to buy clothing and spend your paycheck!!

mkw

Re: Coffee's Mens and Womens Clothing

Post by mkw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Coffee's had a " young person " section that had some of the " hipper " ( for Fresno) clothes for late teens/20-somethings in the late 60s/early 70s . My father always called it " Harry Coffee " , never " Coffees" like we did , and it is where he shopped for most of his clothes.

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 am

I remember it had a funny logo, with an angry looking unicorn or something, and the name Harry written underneath. I remember thinking Harry must be a unicorn!

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:47 pm

They had nice clothes. I could not afford them. After the post on I. Magnin, I am curious what stores started in Fresno.
This goes way back. Thank you, oldschool

SJM77

Post by SJM77 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Bumping this up, my existence wouldn't have happened without Harry Coffee and the downtown store, that's where my parents met. My mother went to work there after the war selling clothes and would sometimes be seen in the Bee's ads and Coffee's fashion shows as a model; most of the clippings I have date from '52'-'54. I remember growing up that it was always 'Harry Coffee's' not the regular name and dad's closet of suits all came from there. I still have some Florsheim loafers I bought at their Fashion Fair branch in the 70's that still fit and still look great, well 70's great.

DBacker

Post by DBacker » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:37 pm

I remember going to Coffee's downtown right when the mall first opened. The salesman was an acquaintance of my mom. He made some rally nasty racially tinged comments about how "those people" (using the "N word") will be coming down to the mall to sit and eat their watermelon. No one from our family ever went back to that store. Sometimes we are so in love with our perception of the GOOD OLD DAYS that we forget the ugliness that was around then, just as it is now.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:30 am

Who cares

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:11 am

In the downtown Harry Coffee's, I recall a below street level area of the store. Part of that below street level area as I recall had a sports history of Fresno. Including the winners of the Harry coffee award for the various high school sports teams in Fresno
I wonder whatever happened to those Harry Coffee award blankets?