Gong's Market

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Big J

Gong's Market

Post by Big J » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:33 am

Anyone else remember Gong's Market? They had a couple locations in town here, First and Bullard and Fresno and Ashlan. A couple in Sanger too. I practically grew up in the Fresno & Ashlan one - loved that store. For awhile recently it had 2 stints as a Save-a-Lot franchise (fantastic store) but now its something called Save More, which is an awful little store. Shame, too.

Big J

Re: Gong's Market

Post by Big J » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 am

I googled to see if I could find a picture of the store, and found that the main cashier just died. Too bad, I remember her. Nice lady.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/fresno ... =149862792
Attachments
jane young.jpg

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 am

Here's the awesome old sign that stood on Fresno street. Sign's still there but it's been heavily modified. It lit up, and the man would hit the gong.
Attachments
gong sign.jpg

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 am

I remember Gongs! I used to live just off Ashland, between Fresno St and Blackstone, and so we used to pass it all the time. I think I had only gone in there maybe a handful of times though. I love all these pictures you find of old Fresno...really makes me miss it. :>)

organistspouse

Post by organistspouse » Tue May 17, 2011 12:48 pm

I went to the Gong's at Fresno and Ashlan regularly to pick up things that mom needed. It wasn't as super as Food Bank, or C & C, both at First & Ashlan, but it was solid.

Mike Logan

Post by Mike Logan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Gongs Market near My Grammer School Ernie Pyle. Knew it well. Does anyone remember the "Flyers Resturant" next to Gongs? Little cafe with great burgers. This was back in the mid 60's

SuzyA

Post by SuzyA » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:52 am

1970 - 1975 We shopped at Gong's First & Bullard when living in that area of Fresno. We remember Frank and Jane Gong fondly. They were just the nicest people. Jane passed away not too long ago. No sure about Frank. Gong family has had something to do with ownership of shopping center at Bullard & West where Max's Bistro and Holiday Boutique is located. I would see Jane occasionally at hair salon there (when it was Spectrum) early 2000's.

Kim

Post by Kim » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi, everyone! I'm Kim and I'm the daughter of Tom Gong, one of the owners of the markets. Yes, those grocery stores bring back fond memories of growing up among the aisles or the meat department. The businesses were sold in the mid '80s but the brothers and sisters still own and run the shopping centers at Bullard and West and First and Bullard. Sadly, Jane did pass on earlier this year. But the brothers Tom and Frank, their spouses, and the rest of the family are still going strong. Thanks for the thoughts. It takes me back, too!

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:51 pm

A warm welcome to you Kim. My father worked for Tommy Gong as a produce manager! Regards, Teddy Wilhelm

dthatcher

Post by dthatcher » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:39 pm

I lived on E. Richert, just a few blocks from Gong's market from 1957-1960. I remember my Dad stopping there to buy groceries when he got home from work. Does anyone remember Lollipop Ranch? It was a kind of mini-mart beside the Richfield Station on the corner of First and Ashland. This would be in the 1958-59 time frame.

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added from 1973 showing Gongs Market ad.
Attachments
Gongs-Market.jpg
Fresno Bee - Tue. Nov. 27, 1973 - Gongs Market ad