Gong's Market

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
LesPaulPlayer

Re: Gong's Market

Post by LesPaulPlayer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:46 am

This is Paul Gong. Thank you for all the kind words towards my family.

Frank and Betty are my parents and are still in Fresno. Tom and Eva Gong, my uncle and aunt, are also here in Fresno. Keith Chun from the Fresno and Ashlan store passed earlier this year but his wife, May is in Fresno. All of my cousins and siblings that worked at these stores are well, and while some are still in Fresno, some have left our city. Gong Young Inc. is alive and well and my dad is still working and meeting new prospective tenants and First and Bullard and Bullard and West at 84 years old. Than!ks for the photos too. They bring back good memories! Let me know if you have any questions about the stores or if you have messages for some of my family members and I can try to pass them on.

Paul

cjnuxoll

Post by cjnuxoll » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:23 am

I don't know how exactly I stumbled upon this thread, but my family regularly shopped at the one on First and Bullard growing up in the '80s. For a few years in the early '90s, I dated the daughter of one of the owners. That's pretty cool that someone kept a thread alive in this place's memory. My family moved to Fresno around '77 or '78 and I moved away in '98. Is the one at Fresno and Ashlan still around?

Jeffie

Post by Jeffie » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:16 pm

My dad had a barber shop by the Fresno and Ashlan Gongs Market...Bud’s Barber Shop. The Gongs were very nice people. My Dad just died a week ago, lived to be 88 years old. Good memories from from that barber shop. :)

Wolf man

Post by Wolf man » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:40 pm

I left Fresno in 1970s lived out in the country when it had open fields.
There was a Gong's market on Olive on the west side.
We shop there when it was convenient.
Later in my years I work for NASA on Edwards I worked with a relative on the Gong's Les Gong
Not sure if anyone else remembered it.