Historical Gas Station on Princeton and Van Ness

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
jjjmom

Historical Gas Station on Princeton and Van Ness

Post by jjjmom » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:52 am

Does anybody know that fate of the old Russ Clements gas station on Princeton and Van Ness? My boyfriend in the 60’s lived on Princeton and Palm and I used to gas up there just because I liked the building. I hear that it hasn’t pumped gas in a long time and instead it is now just a auto repair place called Van Ness Auto Repair. I’ve been reading that the local community is trying to close the place. Apparently the station was built in 1926 and is on the Fresno Historical registry so how can that happen?
Attachments
van_ness_gas.jpg

Big J

Re: Historical Gas Station on Princeton and Van Ness

Post by Big J » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:02 am

In short, some neighbors were upset about the guy parking cars on the street and wanted his license revoked.

He's in business still, IIRC he won the case pending not parking cars in certain spots.

58pacer

Post by 58pacer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Here are a couple of shots of a college buddy and me with our recently acquired 1950's iron at Russ Clements' Chevron, the year was 1977.

Pacer
Attachments
Jere at Clements.jpg
Doug at Clements.jpg
Doug at Clements.jpg (87.39 KiB) Viewed 11575 times

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:39 am

I used to work there when I was going to Fresno High. Russ used to pay me under the table. 28 dollars a week! I worked there with Terri Kraft also. I grew up a block away on Michigan, and Russ knew me pretty well. What a wonderful memory! I still drive by there when I am in Fresno. I sure miss that area.

Moniq

Post by Moniq » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:36 am

It's still there!