Manchester Center BEFORE it was a Mall

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Manchester Center BEFORE it was a Mall

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:30 pm

This color photo of the old Manchester sign popped up on the internet (not mine).
Attachments
manchester center.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:07 pm

I lived on Michigan Ave. several houses west of Fresno St. as a pre-teen we used to play in the grape orchards north of Shields Ave. I cannot recall all of the houses north of Shields, or any for that matter, but I know we walked up N Fresno towards the drive thru theater that was up there and it was mostly orchards.

When I began Ft. Miller, in the 9th grade in '53, I remember when walking home stopping in a soda fountain on the south side of the shopping center for vanilla cokes. They were a new treat to me. I left for Germany in the winter of '53/'54 and returned to Fresno in June of '56.

Osandad

Post by Osandad » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:37 pm

I remember the construction work back in the 80’s. Converted to an indoor mall to keep with the trend of malls. By then older tenants had moved on.

JT503

Post by JT503 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:53 pm

I remember visiting Manchester Mall with my parents and they were selling pre-fab bomb shelters in the parking lot. Right around the time of the cuban missile crisis.