Now they call it "Manchester North"

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Big J

Now they call it "Manchester North"

Post by Big J » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:53 am

...but back in the day, I don't remember the shopping center on the SE corner of Blackstone & Dakota really having a name. Safeway was the anchor store in what was then a mini-mall. When Safeway closed in the mid-80's and they gave the center a makeover (painting it that horrible teal, among other things) they got rid of the mall. But it used to be, the left side of Safeway where the checkout stands were was WIDE OPEN, opening up to a small mall all the way down to the movie theater.

I remember the fish market (what was it called?), the barber shop, a flower shop, Federico beauty college, and of course Carnation restaurant.

Really miss this little mall.

Big J

Re: Now they call it "Manchester North"

Post by Big J » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 am

What's funny is the ground level attributes of the little mall are still there today. Dollar Tree and a small vacant storefront north of it is the old Safeway, but there's a ramp and an oddly formed wall that goes into the side of where Hometown Buffet site - no rhyme or reason to it. It leads to where the doorway WAS to the old mall. When you went in, to your right was Safeway, and to your left was the mall. Now, you walk up this wheelchair ramp entrance into a wall and a window.

FresnoNativeInLA

Re: Now they call it "Manchester North"

Post by FresnoNativeInLA » Tue May 23, 2023 2:12 am

Big J wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:53 am
...but back in the day, I don't remember the shopping center on the SE corner of Blackstone & Dakota really having a name. Safeway was the anchor store in what was then a mini-mall. When Safeway closed in the mid-80's and they gave the center a makeover (painting it that horrible teal, among other things) they got rid of the mall. But it used to be, the left side of Safeway where the checkout stands were was WIDE OPEN, opening up to a small mall all the way down to the movie theater.

I remember the fish market (what was it called?), the barber shop, a flower shop, Federico beauty college, and of course Carnation restaurant.

Really miss this little mall.
"Federico beauty College graduates, are always in demand..." radio ad jingle