Blakeley's Pool with the Very High Diving Platform

~
Nothing struck fear into a young boy like the high dive tower at Blakely's. Or perhaps you preferred the water slide at Maple Plunge. But to a young man, Lake Millerton or Lost Lake was the destination. Remember the ice rink in Pinedale? Post your favorite Summer Activity here.
~
Fraulein63

Re: Blakeley's Pool with the Very High Diving Platform

Post by Fraulein63 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:14 pm

I remember Blakeley's. To me it was the most special of all the public pools. I remember it was a really big pool. I remember the high dives and the tower. There was also a mini golf course next to the pool. I remember Blakeley's being in a large park. We had several picnics there. Blakeley's was pretty far from my house so I didn't get to go there as often as I went to Airways.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__Jul_5__1970_.jpg
Fresno Bee - July 5, 1970 / Click to Enlarge

Re: Blakeley's

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:57 pm

My father and mother managed Golden Tee in the early 70's and I knew the pool very well. Played there when empty. Yes, there was a tile mosaic mermaid in the kiddy pool at the shallow end. I worked the snack shack there when I turned 13 back in the day. Good memories.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Blakeley's in color.
Attachments
blakeleys.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Nevpaths

Post by Nevpaths » Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 pm

My friend said that we used to go concerts at Blakley’s. I have no memory of that. Is that accurate??

caltex

Post by caltex » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:04 pm

I was the sound manger for the local band "Loadstone" who played many times at Blakeleys,

Members were:
Steve Kuykendall: Lead Guitar and Vocals
Glynn Kuykendall: Guitar
Dean Clark: Keyboards and Vocals
Herb Epperson: Base
Bryan Withrow: Percussion and Vocals

Brian used to do what was called "The Electric Drummer" painted with "Black light paint" and a 20 minuet drum solo under black and strobe lights.
The band played under many names over 15 or so years. Dean Clark and Brian Withrow were founding members of the "Sarcistics" the house band at the "Old Towne Saloon and Dining Emporium" next to the "Old Spaghetti Factory" on Ventura.