Carousel Skating Rink

~
Nothing struck fear into a young boy like the high dive tower at Blakely's. Or perhaps you preferred the water slide at Maple Plunge. But to a young man, Lake Millerton or Lost Lake was the destination. Remember the ice rink in Pinedale? Post your favorite Summer Activity here.
~
Klassik57

Carousel Skating Rink

Post by Klassik57 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:04 pm

In the early 70's, we hung out at The Carousel Skating Rink every Friday and Saturday night. It was on Shields btw. Maple and Chestnut. We'd meet up with our friends from Sierra Junior High School and skate to the Pop Music.

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added from 1965 showing Carousel opening.

Drakonyx

Re: Carousel Skating Rink

Post by Drakonyx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:21 pm

This place got bought, remodeled and turned into a church.

jong559

Post by jong559 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:13 pm

I remember going to Carousel skating rink in the early 60s. it was owned and operated by the Carlson family. I started competing thru carousel around 1963.

Rbrown125

Post by Rbrown125 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Started Skating there in about 1971. I remember Bob, and Pop...got my first job there and had a blast. Also competed. It was a ruff crowd on Friday and Saturday night.

savannah1

Post by savannah1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:29 pm

My husband Joe and I first laid eyes on each other at the Carousel skating ring in 1977. It was love at first site. Joe asked for my phone number I did not have any paper or pencil so he skated to the office, came back with paper and pencil which I wrote my number....I still have that paper put away safely to this day. First date a week later. He proposed 3 months later and we married 5 months later on Christmas day, which at that time we moved into our first place across from the skating ring lol....go figure :) We have two beautiful daughters and just celebrated our 40th anniversary on Dec. 25, 2017. My friends and I alway's skated at this place, I have found no other place like this. Our wedding day is a whole other ball game LOL.

kh1990

Post by kh1990 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Does anyone happen to have any pictures from the Carousel or Roller Towne from the late 1970s or early 1980s? I am trying to create a presentation for a class about growing up in Fresno. My grandmother used to take my cousin and I and drop us off at the Carousel skating rink during the summer when she would go clean my other Grandma's house. We LOVED that place and were so sad when they turned it into a church. We also spent a lot of time skating at Roller Towne over by the Clinton overpass. It would truly help a lot if someone could lend me a picture. I thought for sure I would find one online that I could use. I promise I will site you and give you credit in my report. My professor is requiring that all images be sited. If you could help, that would be amazing! Thank you!

MTS2913

Post by MTS2913 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:25 pm

I was in 4th grade at Scandinavian elementary school when Skaters Carousel was being built. Every afternoon I’d stop and watch the guys building it.

After they opened we went there a couple of times a week to skate. I loved that place. Broke my heart when they closed down and became a church.