Wildwood Park

~
Nothing struck fear into a young boy like the high dive tower at Blakely's. Or perhaps you preferred the water slide at Maple Plunge. But to a young man, Lake Millerton or Lost Lake was the destination. Remember the ice rink in Pinedale? Post your favorite Summer Activity here.
~
pixiecat

Wildwood Park

Post by pixiecat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone else remember Wildwood? It was off of 41, not far from the new Children's Hospital (but on the other side of 41). I remember that they had 2 pools, one of which had an awesome high-dive, and a slide that went in to the river (I think it went into the river). I've been trying to find pictures of Wildwood, but there don't appear to be any out there on the internet. Does anyone else remember this place?
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Apr_16__1948_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - April 16, 1948

LN09

Re: Wildwood Park

Post by LN09 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:27 pm

I remember Wildwood. In the late 50s, early 60s it was a country club. My best friend’s parents belonged and during the summer they would have dances for the teenagers of the members. My friend always invited me, we met kids from all over the Fresno area and always had a great time.

pixiecat

Post by pixiecat » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:35 pm

I didn't know it was a country club. When I went there, it was the early 80s, and it most likely was public by that time (we wouldn't have been able to afford a country club). I remember really liking the pools, and being afraid to try the slide that went into the river. I'd love to see pictures of it during the time it was opened. I haven't been able to find any online :(

frankess

Post by frankess » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 pm

My family were members of Wildwood from 62-63 when we moved back to the East Coast. It was a great place for everyone to gather and have fun. We would go out in the afternoon with my Mom and my brothers with a freezer chest (not cooler) full of food and Dad would join us there after work and we would grill steaks in the picnic area. There was a young couple named Mary and Joe Milo who lived on the property and had a horse named Fraction. I cant remember the name of the family that owned and ran it but they were from Westchester PA and named the place after Wildwood NJ.

In 1990 I took a trip to CA and spent some time in Yosemite and then drove down to Fresno and found Wildwood. Boarded up and in ruins sad to say. I hopped the fence and went in and took a bunch of photos...will try to scan and post. Great times and great memories but long gone...Favorite lifeguard-a gorgeous redhead named Kay Mulky.

pixiecat

Post by pixiecat » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:18 pm

I'd love to see pictures of Wildwood if anyone has them. I tried looking at it on google maps, but couldn't figure out where the pool and slide were located. Anyone know?

larry starr

Post by larry starr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:13 pm

I too would like some pictures of Wildwood Park, i have sourcing the net for some time but not able to find anything on wildwood Park, this park or country club was off 41 near the river in Fresno.

Fresmantic

Post by Fresmantic » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:12 am

I remember some fun times at Wildwood during the early eighties. The 4-H club I belonged to have one or two outings there. Loved the slide that went into the river!

DINGO

Post by DINGO » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Wildwood exists only in my memory. I remember that high dive and on sundays they would pump the water out of the pool and replace it. My father may have take 35m slides of it. Next time I go through them , I scan it. I need to take the entire collection and have them all scanned and get the job done.

SAN

Post by SAN » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Wildwood Beach Club was between the Cobb's place and the river. There was a small cinder block house west of the pool near the bridge. Alvena and Bill Nowotny started the club in the late 40's. I believe it became a trailer park. The last time I stopped by, it had become into a park. All of the buildings and pools were gone.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Thu__Apr_15__1948_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - April 15, 1948

scott-o-rama

Post by scott-o-rama » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 pm

We had many memorable summer swims and picnics at Wildwood when I was a kid. We'd make a whole day of it, just roaming around the park between swims and hanging out under the tall trees -- Eucalyptus trees I think. Then around '65 or '66 Wildwood was bought by the Waits family. Their son Bobby played Babe Ruth baseball, as well as high school baseball and basketball, with my big brother at McLane. Not sure how long the Waits' held onto the place, as we moved to LA in the summer of '67. I heard that Bobby went on to play semi-pro baseball but died -- I'm not sure how -- in his mid-to-late 20s.