Wildwood Park

~
Nothing struck fear into a young boy like the high dive tower at Blakely's. Or perhaps you preferred the water slide at Maple Plunge. But to a young man, Lake Millerton or Lost Lake was the destination. Remember the ice rink in Pinedale? Post your favorite Summer Activity here.
~
pixiecat

Re: Wildwood Park

Post by pixiecat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:29 pm

I'd love to see those pictures, Dingo!

SAN

Post by SAN » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Wildwood Beach Club was between the Cobb's place and the river. There was a small cinder block house west of the pool near the bridge. Alvena and Bill Nowotny started the club in the late 40's. I believe it became a trailer park. The last time I stopped by, it had become into a park. All of the buildings and pools were gone.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Thu__Apr_15__1948_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - April 15, 1948

scott-o-rama

Post by scott-o-rama » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 pm

We had many memorable summer swims and picnics at Wildwood when I was a kid. We'd make a whole day of it, just roaming around the park between swims and hanging out under the tall trees -- Eucalyptus trees I think. Then around '65 or '66 Wildwood was bought by the Waits family. Their son Bobby played Babe Ruth baseball, as well as high school baseball and basketball, with my big brother at McLane. Not sure how long the Waits' held onto the place, as we moved to LA in the summer of '67. I heard that Bobby went on to play semi-pro baseball but died -- I'm not sure how -- in his mid-to-late 20s.