Big Yellow House

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Elizabeth

Big Yellow House

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:51 am

Does anyone else remember the brief glory of the Big Yellow House restaurant on Shaw, north side and down from the Equitable Insurance building. It sprouted up almost overnite, and was in fact just what it's name said...it WAS a big Yellow House, with a peaked shingle roof and big windows looking out on the traffic. It served a version of Southern Cuisine...heavy on giant biscuits and gravy and various forms of fried everything else. It was always overcrowded, so waiting to get in was a standard. It seemed to vanish as mysteriously as it had sprouted up...no history mention that I have ever heard of. Any takers?

Bob

Re: Big Yellow House

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:05 pm

I remember it. They used to have a weight limit to qualify for the kid meal price and they would weigh kids in the waiting room. Fun Fact: There is still a Little Yellow House in operation along the 101 freeway near Santa Barbara.

Moniq

Re: Big Yellow House

Post by Moniq » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:44 am

Wow! Someone else remembers that place. They weren't in business for very long but the food was excellent. I would go on Roast Beef night. They served it in courses and you were already full by the time the main course came. Good down-home cookin'. Too bad they didn't last.