McDonalds on Blackstone & Shields

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

McDonalds on Blackstone & Shields

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:55 am

Perhaps the granddaddy of all fast food outlets in Fresno is the McDonalds at Fresno's most busy intersection. My earliest memory was from 1961 when the family decided to drive over for take out burgers and fries. Then fast forward to 1972, one of my best friend's wedding party decided to have the pre-wedding lunch there. We went in our tux as a goof. Here is what Google says:

In July 1955, Ray Kroc, who had begun taking over the chain from the original McDonald's brothers, opened his own first sub-franchisee at this location in Fresno. The original structure at Blackstone and Shields Avenues was demolished for a contemporary style structure in the 1970s. That was later demolished, for this new building replicating a style similar to original one here. This Fresno site is named the "first McDonald's restaurant franchised by Ray Kroc" — on a plaque placed on the site.
Attachments
mcdonalds.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: McDonalds on Blackstone & Shields

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 am

The official McDonalds website says this on their history page:

McDonald’s in Fresno, California illustrating the transition from the Red and White—to its remodel—with the eventual opening of the Mansard design in the 1973.
Attachments
about_history_9.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Scott-o-Rama

Post by Scott-o-Rama » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:07 pm

That old McDonald's sign -- touting 18 cent burgers and sorta bragging that they'd lost track of how many millions served -- is forever in my memory. Five for a buck -- and back then I could actually eat 5 of 'em! Good times!

Kay

Post by Kay » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:52 pm

I watched them dig out the basement when it was first built in 1955. I lived just three doors down on Shields avenue. Many a time my mother would send me there with a $1.16 to buy three hamburgers, one cheeseburger, and four orders of French fries. the manager lived just across the alley from us and I played with his son. One day he needed to go get a ladder from the basement of the McDonald's and us kids got to go along and see what it was like inside! Many years later when I was back in Fresno I stopped by to check out the old neighborhood. It was interesting to see what was still there and what wasn't and I did eat at the new version of the McDonald's and saw the plaque on the wall.