Kmart Fast Food Deli

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Megan

Kmart Fast Food Deli

Post by Megan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 pm

So I am a boomerang Fresnan on the long distance part of my trip - living on the east coast until I finish some school and then back to the valley. I can't remember if it was the K Mart on Olive or not, but I remember there being a restaurant in the middle. But my husband argues that the Kmart never had a restaurant.

Hamm On Wry

Kmart Fast Food Deli

Post by Hamm On Wry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 pm

K Mart didn't have an actual restaurant, but they did have a fast food deli. You could get hot dogs, with or without cheese, and pre made sub sandwiches. My mom used to buy a sack of the sandwiches, which we would take home and add the condiments such as mayo or mustard. They were good sandwiches, but they did need to be dressed up a bit. They also had a popcorn machine at that deli counter.
Attachments
kmart.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Oct. 21, 1964

Sharlsie

Kmart Fast Food Deli

Post by Sharlsie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 am

I don't remember a Kmart being on Olive. I know there was one on Kings Canyon that we used to go to way back when. And I think it did have like a snack bar.

LeVake

Kmart Fast Food Deli

Post by LeVake » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm

The Kmart across from Roeding Park at Olive and Golden State was there for many years until Kmart went through restructuring and closed the store after 2000. It sat vacant for some time until it became an indoor mall that had few occupants. Once again, it became vacant, but it was finally bought up by California's High Speed Rail Authority and raised in the last five years. The property and lot are still vacant with some construction equipment and pipeline materiel sitting waiting for the next phase of rail construction. We ate many Kmart sub sandwiches from the location at Blackstone and Barstow. That original building still stands in a newer form.