The Velvet Turtle

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Sharlsie

The Velvet Turtle

Post by Sharlsie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:35 am

I remember going to the Velvet Turtle once in high school (1974) for dinner before my Christmas Formal. It was a very nice restaurant but the other couple we were with, the girl was super picky and couldn't find anything she wanted to eat. My boyfriend wanted to smack the crap out of her. ***sigh*** I miss those times.

PatriceN

Re: The Velvet Turtle

Post by PatriceN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I would have wanted to smack her too. I loved the Velvet Turtle. They had like twenty salad dressings, I loved the Green Godess. They would bring a chilled salad fork. I never could understand why they closed. There was another Velvet Turtle in Burlingame. My husband and I ate there on our way to The Stones Concert in 1989. It closed soon after.

lisachocoholic

Post by lisachocoholic » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:01 am

Please verify. There's a discussion elsewhere and memory is playing tricks on us. Velvet Turtle was located on the north side of Shaw around Cedar and 6th Street, correct? Also, is it where the Old Spaghetti Factory is now located or the fish restaurant chain?

Jubal

Post by Jubal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:11 pm

I was only at the Velvet Turtle once. I'm pretty sure the year was 1974. A friend & I had won a contest and our prize was two free dinners there ! Such a plush place ! Swanky ! The good was good and the waitress even offered us a cocktail...even though neither of us was 21 ! I guess to her we did look old enough to drink ! I think I was 18 & my friend was 19. We ended up having a couple of mai tais. I think what was once the Velvet Turtle is now the Old Spaghetti Factory on Shaw (tween Cedar & First).

Russ

Post by Russ » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:05 am

It was next to The hungry tiger which is now the spaghetti factory on shaw