Hacienda and Glass Wall Swimmimg Pool

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
LftFrsno1972

Hacienda and Glass Wall Swimmimg Pool

Post by LftFrsno1972 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:04 am

Behind the bar at the Hacienda was a glass wall of the swimming pool. They used to have specific entertainment as I recall. Synchronized swimming? Either that or watching the girls swim was just entertaining.
Attachments
hacienda_mermaid.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Hacienda and Glass Wall Swimmimg Pool

Post by Lost Fresno » Sun May 31, 2015 12:19 pm

Growing up in Fresno and going out on dates to unique places is one of my favorite memories. But somehow the lounge at the Hacienda with the performing Mermaids was unknown to me. How in the world did I miss that one? From my research, it ran for many, many years. My high school had a prom at the Hacienda so it was still considered a prime place but over the years it went down hill until, it went under and became a senior living facility? If you saw the Mermaids swim at the Hacienda, leave your memory of the event in this thread.
Attachments
mermaid-show.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Fri. Sept 13, 1970

chris3dog

Post by chris3dog » Sun May 31, 2015 2:54 pm

I remember the swimming mermaids in the late sixties, but between 1970-72 the pool swimmers were swimming topless. Pretty seedy and fewer customers at the bar.
Attachments
mermaid.jpg
Click to Enlarge

jessied44

Post by jessied44 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:15 am

During the mid 1950s, the Hacienda was still considered one of the best places to dine. As a young child it was quite a reward if the adults actually allowed you to accompany them to such a "grown up" place. In the film The Right Stuff, there is a scene of a similar style place in Florida so the swimming pool wall was a popular idea for the period.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sat__Nov_21__1970_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Nov. 21, 1970