Flautz Party Donuts

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
BigBigdog50

Flautz Party Donuts

Post by BigBigdog50 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 am

I can certainly agree with most of the top ten lists I have read here, but let's not forget this: Flautz Party Donuts
Located at Blackstone and Clinton next to Sparky Electronics. When they went out of business, it was a dismal period in Fresno History. They had the best donuts and pastries ever made. Every Wednesday my boss would send one of us to obtain a dozen or so little morsels called "Buttermilk Gems". Get there at the right time, and they would still be warm and the taste was out of this world. No one could ever duplicate their deliriousness. Their French donuts were to die for. I miss this place very much!

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping from 1957 added showing Flautz Donuts ad.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republic.jpg
Fresno Bee - Nov. 25, 1957 - Flautz ad

Fogeezer

Re: Flautz Party Donuts

Post by Fogeezer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 pm

The donut shop on Olive across from Tower Theater was the original location of Flautz Donuts, which subsequently moved to the corner of Clinton & Blackstone (near Sparky Electronics). Only donut shop I ever saw that would close up for two weeks a year (vacation), and the first day following would find a mob of people waiting in line for them to reopen. Unfortunately, no one in their family wanted to continue in the business, and rather than sell it (which they could have gotten a very good price for if they had wanted), possibly to see a new owner let their name and reputation decline, decided to just sell off all the equipment and fixtures, and then close the doors forever. A Sad Day in Fresno's History!