Carnation Restaurant

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Drakonyx

Carnation Restaurant

Post by Drakonyx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 am

Does anyon remember a Carnation restaurant at First and Shaw, across from Fashion Fair? Were there others in Manchester North and the Tower District? When did they close?

Big J

Re: Carnation Restaurant

Post by Big J » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:00 am

I think there was one by Fashion Fair, where you describe. Would have been gone by the time I moved into that neighborhood in early '85. There was indeed one in Manchester North during it's time as a mini-mall, of sorts. Right at the end by the theater. It closed in the early 80's, probably around 1982 or 83. Right before the rest of that mall portion closed. I've heard others say there was one in Tower but I don't have firsthand knowledge. My guess is that all the Carnations probably closed at once, maybe 1982-83 or so.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__May_26__1968_.jpg
The Fresno Bee - May 26, 1968 - Click to enlarge

ilovefresno

Post by ilovefresno » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:14 am

There was indeed a Carnation in the Tower District. It was located in the building that is now the Landmark Restaurant. It was there in the 40's, and I'm sure it was the original and only one for many years. When we came to Fresno from our home in Kingsburg, it was really special if Dad took us by Carnation. There was once a drive-up window on the west side of the building. When I moved to Fresno in the 50's, my roommate and I lived in an apartment at Belmont and Echo. We often walked up Echo just to go to Carnation.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__Jun_6__1971_.jpg
The Fresno Bee - June 6, 1971 - Click to enlarge

C2H5OH

Post by C2H5OH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Yes, there was a Carnation in that strip mall on the south east corner next to what was the Safeway Supermarket.

Amy

Post by Amy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:08 am

Yes, there was a Carnation restaurant in the Tower District right where the Basque place is now. That is why that building has the neat glass brick facad and the Art Deco top notch deal over the front door, the whole place had an art deco thru 1950's vibe. I think that both Carnations (by the Manchester Theater on Dakota and the Tower one) closed at the same time, not sure of the year. The inside of the Tower Carnation was so vintage cool-- black and white tile, chicken in a basket, malts and ice cream cones galore, and it had a real diner feel to it. My grandmother lived on Lucern Lane just down from it, and we walked to it and ate there sometimes when I was a little kid.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Sep_25__1970_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Sept. 25, 1970