Perry Boys Smorgasbord

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Hareton

Perry Boys Smorgasbord

Post by Hareton » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:37 am

I remember the fried chicken uummmm.
Attachments
Perry Boys Smorgy.JPG

billwelshsf

Re: Perry Boys Smorgasbord

Post by billwelshsf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:02 am

I worked there from 1967 to 1969. I remember i worked for a guy named Jim. Nights In White Satin was the big tune then.The Friday nite all you can eat crab legs were so popular, even more popular than thr fried chicken. I had to collect all the customer comment cards and they were sometimes hilarious. I remember one said "the plates were delicious".

larrybowers

Post by larrybowers » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:04 pm

There were three Perry Boys "SMORGIES". From 1966 to 1971 I worked at and eventually became assistant manager at all three of them. The original "all you can eat" was in a tiny strip mall with the Penny Candy Bookstore on Cedar Ave. across from Fresno States' old athletic field. It was actually called "Perry Boys Okie Frijole". Judging from the mounds of chicken bones we cleared off of the booth style tables some poor students (of which I was one) must have eaten enough to last them a week. It even had those individual chrome juke boxes at the counter for a time. I can remember playing Donavan's Atlantis and Season of the Witch as I counted the receipts after closing. The second location was at Manchester Shopping Center. Jim was the long-time manager of this one. The third location was on the Fulton Mall next to a jewelry store whose name escapes me.

Fresmantic

Post by Fresmantic » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:38 am

I remember the Perry Boys at the Manchester Shopping Center. In one section they had a wicker peacock chair - like the one Morticia Addams used to have in the Addams Family. I remember as a child always wanting to sit on that chair. For some reason the spaghetti there also sticks in my mind - one of my earliest memories of ever eating the stuff. Seem to recall the men's room also had one of those old fashioned towel-cloth rollers to dry your hands.

TMH1957

Post by TMH1957 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I remember the Perry Boys at Manchester. Was it located in the space where Woekforce is now? And I also remember the one on the Fulton Mall. I worked at Shelburne's stationary for a time and I would take my lunch there sometimes, usually on Fridays. As for Okie Frijole, I used to go to the one at the North Gate shopping center on Blackstone & Bullard or Barstow (I always get those two mixed up!). Can anyone tell me if it's still there? (Loved the soft serve)

JWfresno

Post by JWfresno » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:30 pm

We loved the fried chicken too. Thanks for the memories.

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping from 1964 showing second name of "Okie Frijole" with notation in ad that they were formally known as "Perry's Bull Pen.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republic.jpg
Fresno Bee - Sun. Feb. 2, 1964 - Okie Frijole ad

Post by Guest » Tue May 29, 2018 11:38 pm

There was also one in Fremont, California.

El Jefe de Venice

Post by El Jefe de Venice » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:50 pm

There used to be 2 locations in Hawaii in the early 70's, my favorite place.

4wdave

Post by 4wdave » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:38 pm

My best memory of Perry Boys is when my college roommate ate 23 tacos for lunch (to win a bet). At the Perry Boys near Fresno State. (Where Breuners was, now Macy's, I guess)

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm

We took a visiting shirt-tail cousin there in the 1960's when he was on leave from his USAF job and was enroute somewhere. He was a big strapping farm kid and ate and ate and ate. We drew a lot of amazed eyeballs when he hit the line for a fourth plate of chicken, and became a real star when it was dessert time. He ate an astonishing number of those too. I will always remember his sweet goofy and greasy grin throughout. We felt really patriotic to have fueled up a real Military Relative.