Farrell's ice cream Fig Garden

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Joey

Farrell's ice cream Fig Garden

Post by Joey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 am

WE need to bring it back, applebees closed in it's location
Attachments
Farrells.jpg
Farrells.jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 17391 times

Mistyvs

Re: Farrell's ice cream Fig Garden

Post by Mistyvs » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:40 pm

I agree, but it wouldn't be the same.
Attachments
farrells menu.png
Click to Enlarge

cleozmom

Post by cleozmom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Didn't know that there was an Applebee's there. Last time I saw that area it was Fuddruckers!

theace21

Post by theace21 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Great memories. Worked at this location for 4 plus years. Great job! Great people, and always fun. Still keep in contact with the crew of F33.

LisaMarquise

Post by LisaMarquise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:58 pm

I had my 16th birthday there, and always remember whenever they came out with a 'Zoo', and wanting to buy the entire candy store at the entry/exit.
Attachments
farrells zoo examile.jpg
Example of "The Zoo" at Farrell's

FresnoBeach

Post by FresnoBeach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 pm

After Farrell's closed it became an Applebee's (it was never a fuddruckers, a place nearby but not in the same spot) today the location were Farrell's was has been torn down and now a New Build Chase Bank is in the same spot. for years the Applebee's had the old Farrell's drum, then Long's Drugs got it, not sure if CVS has it right now, but it's someplace in Fig Garden.

Big J

Post by Big J » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm

It's still hanging in CVS

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Farrell's and Fuddrucker's both still exist elsewhere in California. In fact, I read recently that Farrell's was planning a new location. It's unfortunate that both these chains closed up shop. Farrell's was loud, but the ice cream was good and it was a fun outing for the kids and kids at heart.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Farrell's grand opening in Fig Garden was in 1971. I remember the restaurant as being pretty cutting edge because up until that time - restaurants where quiet and expected to be peaceful so you could enjoy your meal. Although people enjoyed their meals at Farrell's, it was the opposite of quiet. I believe the concept was to find workers who were either in the high school drama department or at least had over-the-top type E personalities. You certainly couldn't be the shy type and work there. The first time I saw "The Zoo" served, I was wondering why the air raid siren was going off. Then I saw these two servers with a stretcher filled with ice cream and they were pumping it up and down as ran the perimeter of the restaurant. Only then did I understand that this was a product endorsement event! Although the youtube video below gives away the approximate year not being the 1970's (see the gal holding the iPhone), it does accurately portray the 1971 Zoo serving event.