The Oak and Hickory Pit

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
mjc

The Oak and Hickory Pit

Post by mjc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned the Oak and Hickory Pit at Shields and Blackstone. With its log cabin buildings, and the pig forever 'roasting' on the monument sign out front, who could forget? When the place was demolished, one of the buildings went out to rural Clovis for use as a gun shop. Is it still there?

ilovefresno

Re: The Oak and Hickory Pit

Post by ilovefresno » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:53 am

I remember it well. My dad loved going there. He liked the rustic atmosphere, and the bibs they gave us, indicating it was ok to make a mess. In the early 50's, I was living at the Fresno State girls' dorm, located at Maroa and Home. One weekend some of the girls were trying to decide where to eat out. Someone suggested the Oak N Hickory Pit. Someone else whined, "It's so far out." It's weird to think that Blackstone and Shields seemed almost out in the country then, and now seems almost downtown.

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:49 pm

I sure remember the roasting pig! The smell of wood fire bbq was amazing.
Attachments
hickory pit.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - May 23, 1953

Clovis ca

Post by Clovis ca » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:03 pm

I loved this place as a kid. I don't think anything else has ever come close to their amazing food. I loved their pasts side with the brown gravy.

gloria_512

Post by gloria_512 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:31 pm

You're so right. They had the best french dip sandwiches and ribs I've ever eaten. I really miss that place!