Some Restaurants I Remember

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
sarono

Re: Some Restaurants I Remember

Post by sarono » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Does anyone remember Reubens at fashion fair. My pal and I worked there with a lot of good people.

kelly

Post by kelly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Did anyone work at the Hacenda motel. Good food and shows in 1953.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:09 pm

The Velvet Turtle, The Refectory, The New Rendevous, Ol Solo Mio (spelling...on the NW corner of Cedar & Shields)

Dana

Post by Dana » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Upstart Crow in the mid 70''s in Manchester. Cafe, bookstore coffeehouse. Wayyy ahead of it's time
Refectory
Velvet Turtle
Castillos
Luigi's
Breakers
Hungry Tiger
Big Yellow House
Reubens
Hi Life
Nicola's
Pacific Seafood
Stanley's
Ol Sole Mio
Okie Frijole
Chicken Pie Shop
Outpost

LisaMarquise

Post by LisaMarquise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Leilani's Polynesian
Valley Bakery, Peda Bread and Humongous Cracker Bread Rounds (now Valley Lavosh)
The Broken Bit, Oakhurst
The Refectory
Santa Fe Hotel Basque Restaurant
Lucca's in Madera
Silver Dollar Hofbrau (still going...)

Porkchop

Post by Porkchop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am

Ok, here's a restaurant question; years before food courts, does anyone remember the name of the sit down restaurant inside Fashion Fair?

Yreka

Post by Yreka » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:02 pm

I was just trying to remember the name of the restaurant "Outpost" that had my favorite of all time meal "Lobster Newberg". It was the best and I have yet to see it on any other restaurant menu. It was my special place to take a special friend in the late 60's and early 70's. When did it go out of business? I've lived out of Fresno for about 40 years.

art4hire

Post by art4hire » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Anyone remember Sir Lane's Burgers on Divisadero and Van Ness? Absolute best burgers - with sauteed onions - I've ever had. They closed in the mid 1980s then reopened on West and Shaw for a short time. I don't think they lasted at that location for more than a year. Still the best burgers ANYWHERE!

baggs827@yahoo.com

Post by baggs827@yahoo.com » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm

One of my favorite restaurants was downtown called, "Grandma's Pantry" homemade everything! All food was cooked and baked in house, from meats to bake goods! The best German Chocolate cake ever! Still think of wonderful lunches share with my Momma at this venue! Memories!

JWfresno

Post by JWfresno » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:18 pm

My Dad worked at the Shangri-La sometime in the 60 -70's as a cook. His last name was Wong as well. Still remember the generosity of the boss during Christmas time. What great presents we received.