Cafe Midi on Maroa and Fern

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Jill

Re: Cafe Midi, the one on Maroa

Post by Jill » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks for writing your memories of Cafe Midi, Carol. They sound very much like mine! Only I was fifteen on my first visit, and boy did I feel important and grown up!

Good Time Tim

Re: Cafe Midi on Maroa and Fern

Post by Good Time Tim » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 am

When Mort and his partner moved the Café Midi to Shaw and Maroa, the old location on Fern and Maroa became a Laundromat for some time. When it went under, a friend of mine, Doug, opened it back up as the Café Paloma. It only lasted about 6 months but had the same menu as the Café Midi and utilized a lot of the same workers, myself one. The George Paul Quintet played there several times on weekends before they became Sioux City Zoo. Unfortunately the Tower District lunch crowd never warmed back up to the European style coffeehouse with the Mexican restaurant name. A fellow named Bernie followed and renamed it Swiss Café or something like that. It also went under shortly. Everyone who has posted here can definitely agree that the old Café Midi was the coolest place in town.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:53 pm

When my then husband got a teaching job at City College in 1963, we found the original Midi to be a haven of super hamburgers, xtra strong coffee and the best overheard conversations south of Berserkeley. We had almost a weekly date night at Midi and loved grouchy gabby maven Mort a real treasure. The second Midi was zilch and we missed Mort, the magazines and the ambience...farewell sweet old joint of our youth!

Geode33

Post by Geode33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Found this by accident....but very happy to stumble upon it. Raised in Fresno until I was 18 in 1980....and, while young in the 70's, I remember Cafe Midi off Shaw. Reason I was thinking about it was I made one of their original recipes at home today (not as good), which I make frequently over the last 40 years and remember LOVING it when very young! It was tuna on a English muffin with a tomato and cheddar cheese melted on top. Such good memories of the great menu at the restaurant. Unique and special memories of lunch with my Grandma, Mom and sister.