Burger Chef next to Sierra Jr. High

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
kid1955

Burger Chef next to Sierra Jr. High

Post by kid1955 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:06 am

This was my first burger place that I used MY money to buy a hamburger! My family had been driving up to the McDonalds on Shields and Blackstone for the occasional dinner menu change, I guess that is where I got my first taste of fast food burgers. When I started Sierra Jr. High, I convinced my best friend to occasionally go without spending our lunch money at the cafeteria and instead, drop by Burger Chef on the way home from school. The campus was closed to leaving for lunch so that was our only option if we wanted to buy our own burger. We would have to eat dinner with the family in a couple of hours after school but we always had room for both. I found a couple of pictures of the way the restaurant used to look. I’m not sure when it actually closed. The first picture is how the sign looked from Cedar and the next one is representative of the layout with the central front door as the only entrance.

The only bad thing about the place is that since it was central to both McLane students as well as Sierra Jr. High students and that must of been the reason that there where a lot of fist fights there. I remember one huge one in particular that I got caught in, sad really. Of course by today's standards, nobody ever got shot so I guess it was only minor disturbances. But tell that to the tooth I got knocked out. However, the burgers and french fries were great.
Attachments
burgercheif.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Oct. 4, 1964
burger_chef_2.jpg

Big J

Re: Burger Chef next to Sierra Jr. High

Post by Big J » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:04 am

Oh fantastic. Where was this place, actually, on Cedar whereabouts?

a58pacer

Post by a58pacer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 am

Twelve cent hamburgers! That's what I remember best about burger chef. Plus the hamburger grill assembly line, where the raw patties went into the fire on a conveyor belt, and came out the other end ready for the bun. On Cedar between Shields and Dakota, IIRC. Pacer

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added from 1968 showing Burger Chef ad.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republic.jpg
Fresno Bee - Fri. June 21, 1968 - Burger Chef ad

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:53 pm

So is this where the Foster's in now over there?

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:25 pm

It was where the KFC is..East side of Cedar, near Fountain Way, just North of the old DiCicco's...Fosters is on the West Side of Cedar

fresnope

Post by fresnope » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:01 am

I remember they had coupons or something for 5 cent cheeseburgers. My dad let me ride my bike (Schwinn Stingray!) over there to pick up dinner. 45 years ago it was a safe part of town.

Janet Brown Thompson

Post by Janet Brown Thompson » Mon May 07, 2012 3:10 pm

What I remember about Burger Chef was that they used Miracle Whip instead of mao, that was my first taste of MW and I fell in love with it. Thanks for the memories.

Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added showing Burger Chef ad.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Jan_31__1969_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Fri. Jan. 31, 1969 - Burger chef ad.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Grand opening ad for the Cedar location!
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Thu__Oct_22__1964_.jpg
The Fresno Bee - Oct. 22, 1964 - Click to Enlarge