A&W on Blackstone

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Big J

A&W on Blackstone

Post by Big J » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 am

Just north of Dakota, I loved that place. It closed when I was about 5 years old, but I remember my dad taking me over there for floats, and the great bear-head straws they had for kids. Really miss that place - if I ever am swimming in money I'll buy that car lot and the building and open an A&W franchise in it again.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: A&W on Blackstone

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Get a load of this, I used to wash root beer mugs there in 1970. Before I got the job, it was a frequent place to take a date. One time I meet this gal and right off the top of my head, I suggested that we go have burgers and floats at A&W. So I'm sitting in the car after ordering when I come to the realization that I have no money in my wallet. Ah, those minor details. So I start to sweating bullets and I'm thinking of the humiliation when I have to tell her I'm broke and could she give me some money. Then I leave to use the bathroom which was around the side by the picnic tables and I see a buddy hanging outside next to his car. I beg him like crazy to loan me money and he comes through. Whew! Good times at the 'ol A&W Drive-In.

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 am

I used to go to the A&W Drive-In on Tulare and I remember we used to buy a PapaBurger and split it. Those were some good burgers and rootbeer, yum!

papaburgerfan

Post by papaburgerfan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:26 am

A&W had a entire "family" of burgers. I think the papaburger was the biggest and that's why you split it. But I'm trying to remember what the medium and small were called.

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:11 pm

There was the PapaBurger, MamaBurger, and BabyBurger. :>D Really, those were the names.
Attachments
papa burger.jpg
papa burger.jpg (186.28 KiB) Viewed 14301 times

Scott-o-rama

Post by Scott-o-rama » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:58 pm

I played little league baseball at Fort Miller Jr. High back in '63--'65. A game would start at 4PM on a hot summer afternoon, and by midgame the sweat line was halfway out to the tip of the brim of my baseball cap. After these games we were so dehydrated that we'd head for that A&W and each order a quart of rootbeer, which they served in tall pyramid-shaped enclosed paper containers. It was ice cold and I'd drink the whole thing as fast as I could without getting a brainfreeze headache.

TmBarrett59

Post by TmBarrett59 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:08 am

OK its been awhile, let me see if I can remember. I used to work at the Blackstone/Saginaw A&W from 77-79, 80ish. There was the:

Papa Burger- Seeded bun, special sauce,two patties of beef, lettuce, pickle
Mama Burger-Plain bun, one patty, special sauce, lettuce & Pickle
Teen Burger- Seeded bun, Bacon, cheese, one patty, special sauce, lettuce and pickle
Baby burger- plain small bun, small patty and ketchup.

We also served a BBQ Beef sandwich on a seeded bun, Chili Dog, Fish sandwich, Fries & Onion rings. Plus great root beer root beer floats & freezes. Every Thursday was Teen Burger special day, Teen Burger, Fries and Mug of root beer for 1.99. I miss that place. A&W corporation's biggest mistake was changing the menu and removing the burger family from it. They really need to bring back the Burger family like Jack in the Box brought back Jack.

orangeogre

Post by orangeogre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:31 am

It was more than forty years ago when I was last there. To this day, I've never had better root beer, or root beer as good.

58pacer

Post by 58pacer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:30 pm

My sister-in-law managed that place in the 1970's, until they moved her and the A&W out to Blackstone and Barstow, and eventually sold the store to the south, which then became Fat Jack's.

Pacer

cleozmom

Post by cleozmom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 pm

My sister was a carhop there in the late 70's