Restaurants in Retail Stores and Memories

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~

Re: Restaurants in Retail Stores and (probably wrong) memories

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi there megan. What years are you talking about when hanging out at Roller Towne.

dennis

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Mendes is the Western Warehouse store on Olive with the fabulous & huge Bucking Bronco Neon Sign (that sign has been in a couple of books). Where you get super-stiff-shrink-to-fit Super Bell Levis that had to be washed at least 12 times before they were wearable. Pre-Shrunk is a beautiful 'modern' invention!!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Farmer's Market on Divisadro had a covered outdoor eating area. Mayfair Market was the anchor store.
Woolworth's lunch counter.

pixiecat

Post by pixiecat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Gottschalks at Fashion Fair had a restaurant upstairs, and I'm pretty sure that the Gottschalks in Manchester had a restaurant too. I remember getting chocolate candy at Sears in Manchester. I think they had a candy counter. Woolworth's at Fashion Fair had a restaurant. It had a faux English-pub type store front in the mall-side of the restaurant. I remember liking the little windows that looked out into the mall.

Hamm On Wry

Post by Hamm On Wry » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:18 am

I seem to remember that Woolworth's downtown had a lunch counter. I remember that the smells would drive me nuts when I went with my mom shopping, but we never had the money to get more than just soft drinks. A bit off topic, but when we did eat downtown, it was usually at Coney Island. I can still taste those chili dogs today, and no one ever made them better. Sit at the table by the front window and watch the people coming in and out of the Greyhound Bus depot.

Big J

Post by Big J » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 am

Yup, right by the zoo.

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:11 am

Really? All the way out there? Guess I never paid attention when going out there. lol I did like going out to Roeding Park though, way back then. ***sigh***

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:16 am

Yes, the building still stands - the KMart closed when most of the KMarts did several years ago. It's an indoor swap meet now, after sitting vacant for years.

aday4me

Post by aday4me » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Yes, I remember the cafeteria type restaurant in the K-mart on Olive. It was there!!! =) The K-mart is no longer there.

margied

Post by margied » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 pm

I remember the restaurant at the Fashion Fair Gottschalks and at Woolworth's. The Woolworth's one was called "Harvest House". There was also a restaurant in the mall called "Chauncy's" (in the 70s and 80s), and then a Carl's Jr. went in in the early-mid 80s. Did Weinstock's have a restaurant, too? It was at the east end of the mall where Forever 21 is currently.