1965 KMAKe Rolling Stones Concert

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
davidto46

1965 KMAKe Rolling Stones Concert

Post by davidto46 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Does anyone remember the 1965 KMAKe Rolling Stones concert at John Euless Ballpark? Tickets were $3.00 for the West side of the stadium and $1.00 for the east side (and a view of the back of their heads). We Five, the Honeycombs and the Byrds were supporting acts. Kids rushed the stage after the concert and for years you could buy an 8 mm copy of "Rolling Stones Riot in Fresno"!
Attachments
1965 KMAKe Stones .jpg
Ticket Stub

davidto46

Re: 1965 KMAKe Rolling Stones Concert

Post by davidto46 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Oops! Make that Ratcliffe Stadium! Euless is adjacent to Ratcliffe Stadium and across the street from the Fresno Water Division where I use to work.

Dave

radionut

Post by radionut » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:59 am

I was there. Don't remember "weFive" or "Honeycombs" - I do remember The Byrds for sure. The show ended in the middle of "The Last Time" when the audience swarmed the stage. Weren't The Road Runners the opening act?

davidto46

Post by davidto46 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Yeah, the Roadrunners were the opening act. I just had lunch with David Chavoya who had a band in Fresno then. He was sitting in the expensive ($3) seats and remembered that the Stones came out to the stage in an armored car. He thought it was just hype until the crowd (including my sister and cousin) rushed the stage. The Bee published and anniversary page about the concert several years ago.

Big J

Post by Big J » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:38 pm

davidto46

Post by davidto46 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Wow! I didn't know that video existed. Thanks!

Galleyoop@aol.com

Post by Galleyoop@aol.com » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:38 am

I was there! Sat in the "cheap" seats with my friends. I was 14. Being a girl, I still can't believe my dad allowed me to arrive when it was still dark outside and camp out until the gates opened...(didn't know until later that he parked nearby until the sun came up). When the fans on the Blackstone side began rushing the stage, I had one leg over the rails when a cop said "uh-uh-uh" shaking his baton at me. Never will forgive myself listening to that cop... Whudda trip!