96 FM?

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
billbird2111

Re: 96 FM?

Post by billbird2111 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:43 pm

96 FM flipped to 95.7 The FOX when it became clear that digital was going to be the new age. How can you call yourself 96FM when the actual signal is 95.7? The switch to 95.7 The FOX also signaled the switch to an entirely new format: Classic Rock. It was a HOT CHR (Contemporary Hits Radio) up until that point. When the switch was made -- every Disc Jockey in the station was canned. Only the news guy was kept (me). We played two solid days of nothing but "Louie Louie" songs -- 40 different versions of the same song. We were known as the "All Louie All the Time" station and the news voice (me) was named (can you guess?): LOUIE!

Just before the switch to Classic Rock, we were marketed as HOT 96. Run by Program Director John Clay, we had some mighty wonderful personalities at that station and we were the leading game in town at one point. But -- these things never do last. John and the rest of the staff were let go one day and I was all alone (again) until the new staff moved in and took over.

Fresno2SoCal

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Yes, I recall 96FM being the hot station in Fresno County. Then it seems like B95 took over where 96 left off. Did their staff move to B95?

Bigmark

Post by Bigmark » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:48 am

Didn't B95 come from KBOS 95.9 "The Boss". They were the pre KKDJ Rock station that played hard rock like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc... They used to have a big party called the K Boss Bash on Halloween I think every year.

B95 was 94.9 KBOS "The Boss" mid to 70s to early 80s. Played Rock music.

VinQ

Post by VinQ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm

I remember when it was Rock 96 FM, and it did rock. In 1977 it changed its format to 96 Disco. I was not happy.

Enero

Post by Enero » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:30 pm

KFIG was the best in early 70s! John McCorkle, Joe Reiling, Art Farkas, Ray Appleton, Kevin Carroll.

Rustbucket29

Post by Rustbucket29 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:43 pm

Does anyone remember Mercer and Morgan in the morning? “That’s just downright insulting” I have this memory of hearing that when the morning show started. I must have been about 7 or 8. One day I turned it on and it was classic rock. Now it’s the Fox. One of my favorite stations.

djbaf57

Post by djbaf57 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:48 pm

Regarding the repetitive Louie Louie programming... a college station in the Bay Area, KFJC Los Altos Hills, did the same thing in the early '80s (and maybe other times.) Don't know if they started the idea......