Do you remember....KEAP

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Rodney

Re: Do you remember....KEAP

Post by Rodney » Mon May 12, 2014 1:33 pm

As many times as I went to the Mag dances at the Marigold Ballroom, I never realized until very recently that Denver Cross of the Roadrunners was the son of Elwin Cross. Unfortunately, the two became estranged, victims of an "All in the Family" generation gap that was so prevalent at the time.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:10 pm

I tore down my building at 320 Fresno St last week. It was built in 1956. It looks like an old ad for radio station KEAP 980 AM that hasn't seen the light of day in over 60 years.
Attachments
123_1.jpeg

radionut

Post by radionut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Oh wow! That is a treasure. I'd bet that is the location of the original KEAP studios.

Darin Cross

Post by Darin Cross » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:27 pm

Thank you for posting this. I am Elwin’s grandson and have great memories working the board with him during the summer school break. Elwin, or as we called him “Pops” genuinely loved to entertain. It used to crack me up how fast he could go from Pops to Elwin Cross the entertainer. For those of you that remember, he owned the Hoedown Hall. He was the father of my father, Larry D. Cross, longtime Dentist and Orthodontist in Clovis.

He also was the father of my uncle Denver Cross who was a phenomenal guitarist. That said, my dad, Denver, and Elwin played fantastic music on Guitars every chance they got. I’ve got a lot of stories from when we went deer 🦌 hunting. Great times. I so sorely miss Pops and Denver.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:29 pm

My grandpa Elwin and grandma Virginia loved Denver to the moon and back. There was never a rift between any of us.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:32 pm

Some might remember that Elwin actually did a show from the jail while he was a very short term Thank you for posting this. I am Elwin’s grandson and have great memories working the board with him during the summer school break. Elwin, or as we called him “Pops” genuinely loved to entertain. It used to crack me up how fast he could go from Pops to Elwin Cross the entertainer. For those of you that remember, he owned the Hoedown Hall.

He was the father of my father, Larry D. Cross, longtime Dentist and Orthodontist in Clovis. He also was the father of my uncle Denver Cross who was a phenomenal guitarist. That said, my dad, Denver, and Elwin played fantastic music on Guitars every chance they got. I’ve got a lot of stories from when we went deer 🦌 hunting. Great times. I so sorely miss Pops and Denver.

Darin Cross

Post by Darin Cross » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:37 pm

While Denver was a great guitarist, he learned how to play from my dad Larry Cross. My dad became an Orthodontist so he didn’t follow Elwin’s steps to entertainment. Of the three of them, my dad was always a better guitarist but only family and close friends heard dad play.

Jani

Post by Jani » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:01 pm

Do you remember..... KEAP
My Father was one of the owners in the early 50's to the late 60's or early 70's. Does anyone remember Eddie Briggs? I am looking for pictures from the Johnny Cash Show at the Fresno Memorial Auditorium or any pics from the 69's of the Radio Station. Thank you!

bfremming

Post by bfremming » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:36 am

Darin Cross wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:37 pm
While Denver was a great guitarist, he learned how to play from my dad Larry Cross. My dad became an Orthodontist so he didn’t follow Elwin’s steps to entertainment. Of the three of them, my dad was always a better guitarist but only family and close friends heard dad play.
Wow - what a small world. My Dad was a Clovis orthodontist, and he and Larry regularly conferred and looked after each other's patients when one/the other was out of town. I just transferred what I believe was the last KEAP big band broadcast, recorded by my grandfather Bill Cross (no relation) before KEAP went over to KAAT 107.1 (which at the time was to be a country format broadcast out of the Oakhurst area - and which I can find no record for).

Ashhack

Post by Ashhack » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:54 pm

Does anyone remember Don Hillman? He was my grandfather. Just looking for any memories of him. Thankks! Also a DJ for KEAP and KMAK