Am I the Only One Who Remembers Channel 12?

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Rodney

Am I the Only One Who Remembers Channel 12?

Post by Rodney » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm

For reasons I was way too young to understand, the FCC decided that all Fresno TV channels had to be UHF (i.e., channels 14-83). There were only three channels at the time: channels 24 (KMJ, NBC) and 47 (KJEO, ABC) were already UHF channels, but the CBS affiliate, KFRE-TV, was VHF channel 12. So it switched to channel 30. This happened maybe 1960 or 1961.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Am I the Only One Who Remembers Channel 12?

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm

I remember that dang UFH knob. You had to really twist on it to tune in to the stations! The late 50's, ya gotta love those memories.

organistspouse

Post by organistspouse » Tue May 17, 2011 12:54 pm

You are not the only one who remembers. I remember Channel 12 and, later, all of the CBS stars that made personal appearances when 12 became Channel 30.

a58pacer

Post by a58pacer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 am

And Bakersfield had KERO channel 10, which about the same time moved to channel 23. So in the process, Fresno's CBS affiliate KFRE channel 12 moved to channel 30, right next to Bakersfield's CBS station on channel 29, and Bakerfield's NBC affiliate at channel 10 moved next to Fresno's NBC affiliate, KMJ at Channel 24. Also, there was an independent station broadcasting out of Tulare/Visalia, channel 27. This was prior to Channel 43 debuting. There was no channel 21 or 53, of course.

If you rotated your TV antenna towards the coast you could pick up Salinas channel 8 and San Luis Obisbo's channel 6, which carried a mix of NBC and CBS programming, although the CBS programming was delayed by about 15 seconds. I still can't figure out how or why they did that. Also, Channel 3, NBC in Santa Barbara would come in with a lot more snow. If I remember correctly, with the antenna pointed north, you could get a Sacramento station as well.

Pacer

Post by Guest » Tue May 06, 2014 2:44 pm

I remember it well. And I remember all of the CBS stars who came to Fresno when 12 morphed into 30.