Channel 47 Big Time Wrestling

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Perrynoia

Re: Channel 47 Wrestling

Post by Perrynoia » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:58 am

Channel 47 studios were located at the area where Fajita Fiesta and McDonalds sits at now,,,,,Stanley's Armenian Food was there after that. I remember an Orange Julius stand at that Go Cart track (Bobby Unser Speedway.I think) Also does any one remember Perry's Bullpen? It was located on the N/W corner of Cedar/Shaw until the later60's.

LEN

Post by LEN » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Mitsu Awakawa, Haystack Calhoun, Ray "Thunderstern" Stern

Marvbin

Post by Marvbin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:14 pm

My brother and I would go out to Channel 47 and watch the matches live while they broadcast the show. One of the best was one night when a couple of boys had pea shooters and shot peas onto the mat and when the wrestlers did knee drops they hurt knees and complaining and yelling to the ref and the security on the side of the ring. They ran after the boys and caught them. It was so funny.

Many years later in the 70's I was working at Paul Masson Winery in Saratoga, Ca and noticed a couple of salesmen come into the plant, one was a stocky built man built like a rock, it turned out to be Kenji Shabuya.

Kbs

Post by Kbs » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:11 am

Channel 47 was east of Ashland Ave on Shaw. I helped paint the building in the 70's. Wrestling Studio was in the back.

R Williams

Post by R Williams » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Used to go every Monday night I think it was. Haystack Calhoun Kenize Shbuya Yasho Yuba I knew Happy Humphries what a great friend he was. Of course PJ EADS and "Automotive Engineering" ads filled the commericals back then. 1965-68

Carroll

Post by Carroll » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 pm

I can remember going to the TV station, Channel 47 on Monday morning as a kid to get free tickets to watch the live show that night. It was held in the big metal building behind the station at the corner of Shaw and Cedar Ave. where Black Angus Restaurant is today.

My 2 brothers and I would sit on the east side of the arena opposite side of the ring camera. We did this because the matches were shown on TV Tuesday night at 6:00 pm. We had fun seeing ourselves on TV. I remember the tag team matches between Ray Stevens and his partner Pat Patterson against Pepper Gomez and Pepper Martin.

Also, Rocky Atlas, Haystack Calhoun, The Spoiler, Kenzi Shabuya, Mistu Arakawa and the rest. Those were the days, we thought them to be as real as some think they are today.
Attachments
big time wrestling.jpg

M Cromwell

Post by M Cromwell » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:37 pm

My brother and I were huge fans of Big Time Wrestling. He was about 7 and I was about 5 and we loved it. My Dad had a military marching band album and when we imitated the wrestling show we always started with the same military march that started the show. Once my Dad got tickets for us to see the wrestlers at Selland Arena and I, even at 5, remember practically the whole show. I won't go through it match by match but I will tell you the main event was unique because it was a 6-man tag team match with the Tag Team Champs - Rocky Johnson and Pepper Gomez along with bad guy turned good Pat Patterson vs. The Masked Interns AND their weaselly little manager Dr. Ken Ramey who had been ordered to be the 3rd wrestler on the team by the powers that be. They fought a standard match for awhile and then they were all over the place with Dr. Ramey running for his life through most of it. The good guys won, but that wasn't the end of the story when Hank Renner gave his update the next week. We found out all of the other things that happened that kept the stories moving forward. Someone got salt in their eyes. Someone was attacked backstage and twisted his ankle. It was still great!!!

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:26 pm

Great little YouTube video on the history of Fresno's Big Time Wrestling narrated by Dale Mehl. Dale even gave Lost Fresno a credit at the very end. Nice work Dale!

Mr. Jiggyfly

Fresno Memorial Auditorium

Post by Mr. Jiggyfly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Big Time Wrestling starring Kenji Shabuya, Pepper Gomez, Ray Stevens, The Mask, et al. Met Kenji in the early 90s again as he was a vendor for BART in Oakland, Calif., and Pepper Gomez who was a host at Scoma's Restaurant in San Francisco. Both gone now, but what wonderful gentlemen the were!

Re: Channel 47 Big Time Wrestling

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:02 am

Also, The Wild Man and Gorgeous Grote. Cage matches