Channel 47 Big Time Wrestling

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Big J

Channel 47 Big Time Wrestling

Post by Big J » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:54 pm

My mom has recalled a number of times going to wrestling shows at Channel 47's old location. This would have been during the mid-late 60's. Does anyone recall anything about these shows? About how long did this last, into the 70's? Also, where exactly was 47's old location?
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Tue__Dec_13__1966_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Tue. Dec 1, 1966 - TV Channel ad

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Channel 47 Wrestling

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Gosh, when I was a kid watching our black and white TV, I was often flustrated with the only thing on TV was Big Time Wrestling on channel 47. It was the very early 60's and it seemed to be on every week. Pepper Gomez was one of the big stars back then. I never went to any of the live events but I sure remember the show. I found a web site deadicated to Big Time Wrestling telecasts in Northen Californai during the early days but to the web site owner, early is the 1970's. Heck, it had already been airing for 10 years by that time!

TimBarrett59

Re: Channel 47 Big Time Wrestling

Post by TimBarrett59 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I used to LOVE watching the old Ch 47 wrestling shows. its what got me totally interested in wrestling as a kid and made me want to be involved when I got older (and I did I am one of the principles in the two local promotions here). I'll never forget going one time to the ch 47 studios and seeing Pat Patterson and Rocky Johnson(The Rock's Dad) absolutly destroying the Masked interns in a bloodbath of a match!

TimBarrett59

Post by TimBarrett59 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:42 pm

FYI, for anyone who might be interested in a career in Pro wrestling, The NAW school is moving into their new facility this week at 2970 N. Sunnyside #102 (Thats off Shields and Clovis Ave). New classes are starting soon. We are also train referees, valets, managers. TV tapings will resume shortly and are $5 a for a great 2 hour show that will be broadcast on Youtube and eventualy local TV.

LP

Post by LP » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:02 pm

I loved watching big-time wrestling on ch 47 when I was a kid! Pat Patterson and Rocky Johnson were my faves :) I did see them live once but it was at Selland Arena.

Big J

Post by Big J » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:58 pm

That's interesting! The earlier days had them at the Memorial Auditorium and occasionally Kearney Bowl. I imagine Seland was great once it was built.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Pat Patterson, Pepper Gomez, Kenji Shabuya (sp) were a couple I remember...Didn't they film in a studio on Shaw Ave... think they had some matches at the old Memorial Auditorium down town also

Perrynoia

Re: Channel 47 Wrestling /Big Time Wrestling

Post by Perrynoia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:15 pm

You forgot to mention Mr. Saito and the Von Braun Brothers!

Big J

Re: Channel 47 Wrestling /Big Time Wrestling

Post by Big J » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 am

Ray Stevens too

Re: Channel 47 Big Time Wrestling

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:09 am

Yeah the old Bigtime wrestling used to film on shaw and cedar next to a driving range/golf putt putt place and go kart track if I recall I could be wrong. Now me and my nephew either go to the NAW studio over on Sunnyside or watch it on Youtube, which is great can we can watch it whenever we want, Its called the NAW channel on Youtube. Most of the guys are local there. Ran into one of them working at a home depot!!