Scary UHF Station Commercials of the Early 60’s

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Lost Fresno Guest

Scary UHF Station Commercials of the Early 60’s

Post by Lost Fresno Guest » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 pm

When UHF television first came to Fresno (all the youngsters are saying: what’s that?) the new UHF channel was being advertised on the other two main Fresno channels. I guess it was a FCC regulation that the other stations had to do that. Anyway, I was about 7 years old and really got freaked out because of the promotion format. The new channel (KICU?) used being invaded by aliens as their main theme. The commercial would start with the words: It’ coming, It’s coming ……. And then there would be eerie space music with a guy in a space suits coming out of a flying saucer.

There was 3 of 4 other variations but they all used weird music and space ships. At the time I was terrorized but the UFO craze and I was convinced that it would be just my luck to have a flying saucer land in MY backyard. Forget the other thousands of people in Fresno, it would be my yard that they would choose, I was convinced of it. So the UHF commercials drove be nuts, I was really afraid and would jump up and turn the TV off if I was fast enough. Does anybody else remember those UHF station commercials. Or how about the early TV station KICU (the logo was an old Monopoly board kind of gentleman and the “I” of KICU was supposed to be his eyeglasses.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Scary UHF Station Commercials of the Early 60’s

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:28 pm

From my internet research, the Fresno UHF station you spoke of was launched on December 23, 1961. These were the details:

KICU TV channel 43 in Visalia-Fresno, California (IND).

FresnoNativeInLA

Re: Scary UHF Station Commercials of the Early 60’s

Post by FresnoNativeInLA » Tue May 23, 2023 1:15 am

One that always scared me was the title card promo for Channel 30 Chiller Theater. A really scary drawing of a hairy scarfaced male image. I had to get up and stand beside the TV looking away!. Still remember it.