PJ Eads Jingle and Cartoon

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Lost Fresno Guest

PJ Eads Jingle and Cartoon

Post by Lost Fresno Guest » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:12 am

I watched a lot of television as a kid (who didn't) and of course it was all in black & white. There are a few local commercials that I must of seen aired 1,000 times each and are seared into my memories. One was a cartoon for a used car dealership of time called P.J. Eads, I'm have no idea if they are still in existence. The commercial was in the form of a cartoon with two Indians walking. All you could see was their deerskin leggings and moccasins. It went something like this:

BACKGROUND SOUND: Thump, thump, thump (the sounds of their feet as they walked side by side).

INDIAN NUMBER ONE: Davey! Davey!

BACKGROUND SOUND: Arrows start wildly flying: Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.

INDIAN NUMBER ONE: Davey! Davey, you can't go thar, you'll be killed.

BACKGROUND SOUND: Arrows continue to fly: Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.

INDIAN NUMBER ONE: Davey! Where you goin'?

INDIAN NUMBER TWO: (With a booming echo) P.J. Eads, the valley's largest independent used car dealer.

Was this the same Bill Eads that ran the RV Sales lot? And if so, where did the PJ come from when he ran that cartoon?
Attachments
PJ Eads.jpg
Fresno Bee / Jan, 1963 / Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: PJ Eads Jingle and Cartoon

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I was emailed by a member who remembers the words slightly differently. Submitted for your consideration and fading memory:

Davey, don't leave the stockade, the hills is full of Indians.

Davey, you'll be dead before you get a hundred yards.

Davey, you're walking' right into the whole Cherokee tribe; Where you going?

P.J. Eads, the Valley's Largest Independent Dealer

Big John

Post by Big John » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Though I was a good friend of PJ's, I cant remember much about his family aside from brother Mike, who ran the RV sales lot on hiway 99 near McKinley. Mike was talking of retiring to northern California the last time we spoke in 2005. At that time he was working as a salesman for Larry Champagne on Tulare Street.

PJ's real name was Philander Eads, and he was from the midwest. Nebraska I think. He was married several times and passed away peacefully around 2001 or 02, with wife Dorothy by his side. He battled diabetes into his late 70's.

Over the years I probably sold P.J. 400 cars, and every one was enjoyable. P.J. was gifted with not only a great sense of humor, but an even-temperment that enabled him to handle any situation that may arise. (a tremendous asset in used car dealing). In the 16 years we did business I never saw him get angry or overly giddy. There will never be another like him.

He is missed. R.i.P. my friend.

Gale24

Post by Gale24 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:53 am

A friend of mine brought this to my attention so I thought I would join the tale. I am P J's daughter and have lived with the jingle most of my life. You would be surprised how many people remember the jingle. A little history. Many years ago my mother was presented with the advertisement while my father was on vacation. It had been used by a dealer in Southern California and he was done with it. My mom had them hold the ad until my father came home and she was right on the money.

The ad was a hit. It is believed to be a product of Disney. At the time, ad sales were in their infancy and when my dad bought time on the station, he bought so much that unsold spots were filled with his ad because of his purchases. That is one of the reasons that you saw it so much. Many years ago, Channel 47 did a spot on the process used to produce the voices. I didn't get to see it, but I am told that it was really informative. You got most of the words right. When my father, PJ Eads was done with the ad he gave it to his brother Bill Eads who had the lot on Elm Ave.

That is why two names ring a bell. There was a companion ad with the feet of a bride and groom, but few remember that one. I'm not sure who Big John is, but I must tell you that my precious uncle Mike died. He was by my father's side in business with the car lot until it was closed and my dad went strictly wholesale. Thank you for your interest. It's nice to have so many remember my dad and the ad. If anyone knows where I can find a complete copy of it I would be very grateful. It had been lost and I would love a little personal history to pass on to my daughter.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

My ex father in law is Bill Eads...Got to know his brothers PJ, Mike and Bob...Sadly there are all gone except for Bill. He worked for Dan Gamels for awhile running Dan's RV lots in Watsonville and then Modesto. He is semi retired, still in the wholesale RV business and living in Oakdale. I worked with Bill for a few years at his lot on Belmont after he decided to get back into retailing cars...He was a lot of fun to work with and be around...He had ton's of energy! LOL

flwbdw

Post by flwbdw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 am

My dad, PJ and Mike were good friends. My dad sold recaps to PJ. I got my first job there mounting tires, porta walls and finding matching hub caps for the cars. Worked next to the best mechanic I've ever known, T. Bales. Mike was one of the nicest people i have ever met. Bought my first car there, a 55 Plymouth Savoy. PJ used to live in the foothills at one time. My dad and I would visit there and my dad would let me take his car and drive all over the back roads. I was only 15 and didn't have a drivers license. I think he wanted to get rid of me for a couple of hours.

I was friends with Bruce Eads. He had the nicest 57 Chevy. The interior was done by, I believe, Wall & Eads. Used to eat lunch at the cafe next to the lot. I think it was called The Oak Leaf.??

On the subject of car adds does anyone remember Jack's used cars? Your old buddy Chester would make you a great deal. Sometimes you could "GET TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!"

I was born in Santa Maria in 1949 and we moved to Fresno in 1951. Lived there until 1968 when I joined the Navy.
Looking back Fresno was great place to grow up. Went there this last Dec for the birth of my grand daughter and promptly got lost.

Thanks for letting me share these memories.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:15 pm

The Oak Leaf on Tulare! LOL I got to know Bruce when he did work for Bill, when I worked with Bill. Bob Eads also came around back then...The Eads didn't come from Nebraska..It was Iowa...Spirit Lake, Iowa...

rickilu52

Post by rickilu52 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm

I thought he'd say...PJEads. The valley's largest used car dealer in Fresno.

Gale24

Post by Gale24 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:25 am

As I read the posts I saw a little misinformation. My father, PJ; my brother, Bruce; and beloved uncle Mike have all passed. Bob is still with us. I learned to drive in the same hills that one of the posts spoke about. I am still looking for a copy of the ad. If anyone knows where I might look I would be grateful. He was everything that was said about him and more. Lot of fun to grow up that way.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for the update about Bob. Someone had told me he was gone..So glad to hear he is still with us.