Forty Niner Show

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
crobby 52

Forty Niner Show

Post by crobby 52 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:13 am

Forty Niner Show

Does anyone remember this old kid's TV show? I was on it in about 1957. Wondering about old archive footage.

frodoboy

Re: Forty Niner Show

Post by frodoboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 am

Slim Andrews (the old 49er) was my neighbor. He lived on Winery between Princeton and Clinton in a big ranch house which is across from the airport now. Back then it was all cotton fields. He was very reclusive in his house but totally different on screen. I got to be on his television show and had my picture taken with him as well but have no idea where that is. I think his dog's name was Buster. Those were the good ol' days of Fresno!!
Attachments
slim andrews fresno 49er.jpg

Sky Princess

Post by Sky Princess » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:06 pm

I went on the Forty-niner show a couple of times. You had to sit on a wood bench with a number on it. We played musical chairs for the camera. I think he had a mule puppet named Buella. You got to pick out a toy at the end of the show. I won a coloring contest from the show when I was five. I colored a picture of Santa from my coloring book and my mother mailed it in. I won a box of Tinker Toys.

carlesglass

Post by carlesglass » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 am

The Forty Niner played a banjo too didn't he?

Carl

Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 am

The picture posted of Slim Andrews brought back the memory of the show, though my memories of Jimmy Wheldon and Webster Webfoot and Flippo, Jr. are much stronger.

Johnny Morris

Post by Johnny Morris » Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 am

I remember the show very well growing up in the late 50's. It was on KJEO channel 47. The station was on Shaw & Clinton. Owned then by J. E. O'neal.

chuckdillon

Post by chuckdillon » Sun May 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Shaw and Clinton run the same way! Was it not near Shaw and Millbrook?

RAR

Post by RAR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:42 pm

I was also on the 49er show and remember it well. KJEO Channel 47 was located on the south side of Shaw Avenue, just west of Cedar. Yes, the 49er did play the banjo. Does anyone remember the Jack's Used Car ads? They would drive the two-tone Bel Airs through the back lot, the announcer would describe the car, slap its fender and tell the driver to take it on outta here! Their tag line was Jack's Used Cars on Highway 99 in Selma. The things you remember from childhood!

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 pm

I well remember the Forty Niner. I never was on his show in the audience, but I won a Hamilton Beach milkshake maker from his show, for sending in the best public safety slogan for kids crossing a busy street. I'm sure it was my mom that thought of it, and I can't remember the slogan. But now, 50+ years later, I STILL have the mixer!!!!

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 am

YESSS! And the pitchman for Jack's Used Cars in Selma was none other than Your Old Buddy Buddy Chester: "And if YEW don' have the hundred dollars to put down on this fine yoozed car, yer ol bud-dy bud-dy Chester is gonna lendjoo the money right outta his pocket!!!"