KYNO #1 Fresno!

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
galactustrilogy

Re: KYNO #1 Fresno!

Post by galactustrilogy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm

As the yearbook photographer at McLane, I shot this 1973 photo for the advertisements that ran in the back of the book. Wish I'd shot more of the interior! Includes DJ Mike Novac.
Attachments
1973 KYNO-McLane High yearbook advertisement-1.jpg

doclohman

Post by doclohman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:54 pm

RE: Frank Terry was the DJ who did the drum-a-thon.

Yep, I was there. I saw Frank Terry drumming away.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 am

The KYNO surveys are so classic. When I see one from the time that I was listening to KYNO every minute that I could, it sends me back to that very time. This survey is form December features JOSE FELICIANO in 1970. What a great year in Fresno that was!
Attachments
kyno.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Fleetcomm

Post by Fleetcomm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:17 pm

Wasn’t KIRV 1510 active in the late 60’s for a few months? I had my grandfather’s 1938 Zenith radio (3’ tall) in my bedroom and I could get stations from L.A. to Stockton on good nights

21-50 over

Post by 21-50 over » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:27 pm

KIRV was pop, rock and album cuts back then. Studio was on Blackstone Ave. just north of Mckinley Ave.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 am

Play this YouTube for a great sound recording of the Johnny Scott show on February 10th, 1968. Listen to KYNO's "Solid Gold Sound" with many familiar commercials, including Al Radka and the 3 Stooges. I smiled when he announced the weather, "local dense fog so watch it" ... fog in Fresno, ya think?

Also, this show is from the "Million Dollar Weekend" where after every few songs he would hype the "Location X" game. Although the prize is $1,000 not one million. They did this many, many times over the years where a 15 second sound was played and you had to guess the location. It's hilarious to hear Johnny ask one listener that called in to carefully repeat the location as in she may have been the winner! The Fresno Bee printing press she states. But no, she was wrong.

Then there's the news where we hear of the latest Vietnam B52 saturation bombings. And finally, a big show is annouced at the Rainbow, its Buffalo Springfield, then the phrase: BLOWS YOUR MIND!

A short list of common KYNO tag lines include:

BOSS RADIO
BIG 13 ... GOLDEN
BOSS JOCKS
KYNO Number One ... GOLDEN
SOLID GOLD SOUND
KYNO 20/20 News
KYNO CASH ... MORE MUSIC
BOSS LINE

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Big event in 1968 at the Crest Theater (anybody ever heard of that place?)

Call KY-NO when the Boss Jock tells you!
Attachments
boss jocks.jpg

Rex

Post by Rex » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:17 pm

Don’t forget the shows produced by KYNO jocks at the Memorial Auditorium. One in particular was headlined by Paul Revere and the Raiders 62 or 63.
Then Rocky Morelli’s Mag 7 dances at the Rainbow Ballroom that advertised on KYNO and KMAK. Dick and DeeDee, The Ventures, The Righteous Brothers and more.

Loyal KYNOroo

Post by Loyal KYNOroo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:27 pm

Who signed off with, "Bye, bye. Be good. Be careful. And most important of all, don't get caught in your neighbor's turnip patch."? Loved KYNO-130 and listened from 1962-1968. Les Turpin and Glenn Adams were my favorite DJs.