Manchester Mall Cinema on Blackstone ave and Dakota ave.?

~
Who could forget the fabulous Crest or the Tower Theater? Fresno’s drive-ins were the most popular with teens, among them the Moon-Glow and the Sunset. The world’s largest outdoor screen was housed at the Sunnyside Drive-in. Did you hide in the trunk to save 50 cents or possibly steam up the car’s windows? Share your old Fresno theater memories here.
~

Re: Manchester Mall Cinema on Blackstone ave and Dakota ave.?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:10 am

Yes, I remembered going to this theater back in September, 1999 watching Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. The theater was run by United Artist and it showed second-run movies.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:08 am

In the late 60's and early 70's it was the new "in" place to go and see a movie. The Carnation Ice Cream restaurant was just a couple of doors down inside the newly enclosed mall (not the original one in the Tower District). Which made a nice place to go right after the movie. One of my most fond memories was the date I had for the movie Tora, Tora, Tora which was shown at the Manchester Mall Cinema. The runner up was the time I saw Love Story there in 1969, which made the entire theater cry. Those were shown long before in was twinned.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Oct_16__1970_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Oct. 16, 1970

Jubal

Post by Jubal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 pm

I can recall seeing many movies at Manchester Cinema over the years, such as "Le Mans", "THX 1138", "The Godfather II", "The Valachi Papers', "The Getaway", "Mommie Dearest", "The Last Tycoon", etc. They even participated in the "Midnight Movie" fad that was around in the late 70s. I would get free tickets to those Midnight Movie showings (one of the flicks my friends & I saw as part of that was the 1965 comedy "The Loved One") at nearby The Sound Stage music store on Blackstone, just north of Dakota. I could be wrong, but as I recall, they didn't have a screen made up of fabric like most movie theaters. They simply showed the movie on the painted wall.