Mickey Mouse Club at Downtown State Theater

~
Who could forget the fabulous Crest or the Tower Theater? Fresno’s drive-ins were the most popular with teens, among them the Moon-Glow and the Sunset. The world’s largest outdoor screen was housed at the Sunnyside Drive-in. Did you hide in the trunk to save 50 cents or possibly steam up the car’s windows? Share your old Fresno theater memories here.
~
shirleyken

Mickey Mouse Club at Downtown State Theater

Post by shirleyken » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:53 pm

I was born in the Burnett Sanitarium in Fresno in 1927 and lived in Fresno until after I graduated from Fresno High in 1945. Currently I'm writing a book about my early childhood days. Does anyone remember The Mickey Mouse Club? It took place every Saturday morning and it seemed every kid in town used to go. I recall it took place at the State Theater in downtown Fresno, but I can't find any mention of the State Theater, so has senility set in? Could I be mistaken?

I do recall that for ten cents admission we got a live stage show, some cartoons, a comedy like Laurel & Hardy, and a serial such as Flash Gordon or The Clutching Hand, and a small cup of ice cream or a candy bar. Sometimes students from Miss Severance's Dancing school entertained, and that included me. I'm not mistaken about that because I've still got the clippings from the Fresno Bee. As I recall, popular Elmer Touchoff was the M.C. This all took place in the mid-1930's, around 1935 - 1936. I hope someone else remembers the State Theater besides me.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Mickey Mouse Club at Downtown State Theater

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm

By the time that I watched the Mickey Mouse Club on TV in the mid-1950's, it was already in syndication {re-runs). But I do see the attached article about the Fox State Theater in 1938 that sure enough, does seem to fit your memories of going to see the Mickey Mouse Club! Hope it helps and good luck with the book.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Feb_4__1938_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Feb 4, 1938 / Click to Enlarge

shirleyken

Post by shirleyken » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks for the clipping. Sure enough, there was a State Theater. I'd forgotten the "Fox" part. I also have a clipping about the Mickey Mouse Club which I'll post if ever I can find it.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 pm

A big welcome to Shirley and some great Lost Fresno memories. Here is another clipping showing the Fox Sate Theater and The Mickey Mouse Club as well. And ... there was free candy!
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Aug_30__1940_.jpg
Fresno Bee, Aug 1940 / Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Here's an update on the Fox State Theater. I was wondering why I never heard of this theater as even the very old ones were still in existence in the 1950s. I found out that in 1948, the State Theater was remodeled and then renamed the Esquire. After all, it first opened in 1928 and was due a make-over. However, in 1952 it became the Sequoia Theater which was the one I grew up with. Lastly in 1968 it became the Towne Theater and showed mainly adults films. Now it all made sense to this baby boomer! The Esquire's grand opening ad is below.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sat__Mar_27__1948_.jpg
Fresno Bee - March, 1948 / Click to Enlarge