The closing of the Wilson Theater

~
Who could forget the fabulous Crest or the Tower Theater? Fresno’s drive-ins were the most popular with teens, among them the Moon-Glow and the Sunset. The world’s largest outdoor screen was housed at the Sunnyside Drive-in. Did you hide in the trunk to save 50 cents or possibly steam up the car’s windows? Share your old Fresno theater memories here.
~
lollypop

The closing of the Wilson Theater

Post by lollypop » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Hello everyone. For me, it was the Wilson theater. I miss it so.

In an effort to improve my grades in elementary school, my Mother made this deal: get an A on your Spelling List exam every week and I will drive you downtown to the Wilson Theater (where the had a old day matinee on Saturdays) and not only pay your admission plus candy counter money! Well, needless to say I got an A on the Spelling List 100% of the time. On a sad note, I promptly forgot all those words I learned so thank goodness for spell check.
_Wilson_closed_in_1971.JPG
_Wilson_closed_in_1971.JPG (171.81 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
It' so sad to learn of all the closings of not only the great movie theaters but all the great eateries in Fresno. I found this photo on eBay (how could anybody tell I know) and the seller was saying that this was the very last marquee showing the final movie in 1971.

Miss you Fresno,
lollypop

mjf

Re: The closing of the Wilson Theater

Post by mjf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:29 am

IN '50 you ALWAYS went to the matinee on Sunday -- to meet up with those you hung around with Saturday night.