Starlight Drive-In Theater (now site of Fashion Fair)

~
Who could forget the fabulous Crest or the Tower Theater? Fresno’s drive-ins were the most popular with teens, among them the Moon-Glow and the Sunset. The world’s largest outdoor screen was housed at the Sunnyside Drive-in. Did you hide in the trunk to save 50 cents or possibly steam up the car’s windows? Share your old Fresno theater memories here.
~
Fresburger

Re: Starlight Drive-In Theater (now site of Fashion Fair)

Post by Fresburger » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:46 pm

In the early 70's My big Brother would take my self and friends to the Starlight to see all the "B" Dracula movies starring Christopher Lee (RIP). And of course saw the Night Of The Living Dead there. It's funny how one of you mention that you would ride your bike there at dusk and watch the movie. We would also do crap like that; gone all day riding our bikes all over Fresno without our Parents worrying a bit! I would be worried sick in today's would if my kid was gone all day long without so much as a call! Lord please bring back Fresno like it used to be!

Brett G

Post by Brett G » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:41 am

That was a true, classic drive in. I went there to see the movie "The Fog" in 1980 just days before I left for Navy Boot Camp. Of course, after the movie started, the fog rolled in. Really added great effects.

Brett

1christone1

Post by 1christone1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:00 pm

I can't tell you what year the Starlite opened, but it was already thriving when my family moved into the neighborhood in August 1955.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Aug_12__1955_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Aug. 12, 1955 / Click to Enlarge

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:42 pm

I first really understood that I needed glasses at the Starlight. It was 1977. I would have been around 14. My brother and I sneaked into a showing of the R-rated Saturday Night Fever in the trunk of my cousin's car and had to park fairly far from the screen. At one point, one of the actresses took her top off, but I had no idea what everyone in the car was so excited about.