The Shack - Youth Center on Tuolumne St.

~
Come back with us now to those hot summer nights when half of Fresno's teens were driving up and down Belmont. Or remember what it was like on Fulton St. before Belmont took the title of "Fresno's Main Drag" Remember the Rainbow Ballroom? Post you night life memories here.
~
mjf

Post by mjf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:19 pm

This is the first I've run across Lost Fresno. And I remember almost all the places everyone has mentioned. Although many of them are from later that my teens. I've not read where anyone is old enough to remember The Shack. For a wonderful few years, the Shack was where you could go on Saturday nights and dance to a great dance band made up of local guys. The Shack was overseen by Betty Drummond, a very lovely lady.

One year several of us were in The Shackette Follies. Years later I would run into one of the girls and we would giggle over "when we were on the stage." So my fondest memories are of The Shack, Stan's Drive In and Spud Nuts! Another place for ice cream was the Fresno Ice Company where we loved the rainbow ice cream! It was way out on Blackstone, near McKinley. Well, it was way out on Blackstone in the 40's and 50's.
Attachments
the shack.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Feb. 14, 1948

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm

I grew in the 60s but if you were a young man in the 1940s, the hip spot to dance and meet other teens was The Shack. Originally housed in the former YMCA building, it boasted 1,200 members. The community supported the idea of "The Shack" in an effort to curb juvenile delinquency but at the same time, everyone knew it was a youth night club.

Perhaps one of the more famous episodes of The Shack is when someone tossed a home made bomb at the back of the building!
Attachments
shack bomb.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - July 9, 1945