Nashville West

~
Come back with us now to those hot summer nights when half of Fresno's teens were driving up and down Belmont. Or remember what it was like on Fulton St. before Belmont took the title of "Fresno's Main Drag" Remember the Rainbow Ballroom? Post you night life memories here.
~
Drakonyx

Nashville West

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 am

Does anyone remember a club called Nashville West up in Pinedale? Evidently, they broadcast a TV show on Saturday nights from the place in the late '60s or early '70s. Did this place end up becoming the Agape Club (Christian nightclub) later on?

roland.jones559

Re: Nashville West

Post by roland.jones559 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:45 pm

I believe your memory of Nashville West as the location of the Agape Club is correct. The building went from a tavern to a temple. The label "Nashville West" was used to describe the Old Fresno Barn and also the Country music scene in the Central Valley in the 40's and 50's, and became a popular name for Country music honky tonks and taverns all around the valley. Personally, I prefer that Nashville stays away from the West. It's just too formula driven for my tastes.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:56 am

The Nashville West was where Babies R Us/Midas Muffler are now. Before El Paso St and on East side of Blackstone. The building was also The Zoo and Louie's Zoo. I guess it then became the Agape Club ( I don't remember it as that, just as a bar LOL)

dhurt50

Post by dhurt50 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Before it was demolished it was "The Agape Club" I played their when I was a member of a Christian Band in the 70's. Great place to play because the acoustics were superb.

RoughRider1961

Post by RoughRider1961 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:49 am

My part-time job with Valley Patrol often involved handling security for the non-alcoholic "after hours" sessions at Nashville West.
Here's the scenario:
Close down the bar at 2 am
Everybody outside
Re-open the doors and check women's purses and do a pat-down of all the guys for booze and other things like guns, knives, etc.

Simple, right? Pat down a bunch of drunk cowboys?

I hated it when a plain clothes cop came through the line without a single word to tip me off that I would be finding a gun in a holster under his jacket. All I could do was hold on to the butt of his gun and pray that he had a badge to go with it.

All for minimum wage!

Maggii2u

Post by Maggii2u » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Does anyone remember the WHITE WHISKEY BAND and the Singer was SEANNA? I was going through some more boxes and I found a flyer for Nashville West on Blackstone

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:47 pm

I came of age, frequenting Nashville West Country Tavern, late 60's , early 70's...met stars and locals, back when children were asleep in the booths and parents were doing the two step to future country music stars. Fond memories.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:30 pm

I was stationed in Lemoore in the late60's. Nashville West was run by the cousin of one of my friends there. He got us in often. We went to the cousin's (big) house for Thanksgiving and got to rub elbows with Bob Wills and Rose Maddox.

Stanley375

Post by Stanley375 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:32 pm

I played 6 nights a week at The Point After from 9pm to 1:45 am, and on the weekends would jam on over the "The Nash" for after hours. There, we could sit in with the great band. I met my first fiancé there. But, we never ended up getting married. Still, fond memories.

larussll

Post by larussll » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Maggii2u wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:48 pm
Does anyone remember the WHITE WHISKEY BAND and the Singer was SEANNA? I was going through some more boxes and I found a flyer for Nashville West on Blackstone
I remember that Maggii2u, I worked there at the time, and knew the band very well!