Marigold Ballroom

~
Come back with us now to those hot summer nights when half of Fresno's teens were driving up and down Belmont. Or remember what it was like on Fulton St. before Belmont took the title of "Fresno's Main Drag" Remember the Rainbow Ballroom? Post you night life memories here.
~
Drakonyx

Marigold Ballroom

Post by Drakonyx » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Did this move? An early description has it on Olive Avenue, but a later address is 1833 Hedges. Did it get relocated when Blackstone and Abby were split? Does anyone have any memories of this place? Who played there? I heard that the Byrds and the Dead played gigs there around '67.

flwbdw

Re: Marigold Ballroom

Post by flwbdw » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 pm

I went to the Marigold a couple of times in the 60's and remember a band called The Chocolate Watchband and another was Sopwith Camel. They had a song called "Hello Hello, I like your smile, would you like some of my tangerine, you know I'd never treat you mean" or something like that,that got some limited air play on a small AM station that was located on Blackstone that would have to sign off when the sun went down. I can't remember their call letters but I won 2 copies of the Who's "I can see for miles" 45 trying to pick the right number to win a Yamaha trail bike. Also a few of the light shows there were put on by a guy named Don Yost. These are foggy memories at best, cause as they say, If you remember the 60's you weren't there.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu May 12, 2016 10:33 am

Neat Marigold Ballroom flyer circa 1967.
Attachments
marigold_greatfuldead_1967.jpg

GYM

Post by GYM » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:24 pm

My band opened for Janis Ian at the Marigold when it was at the Blackstone and Abby split. Never knew it was located anywhere else.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 am

Check out this 1967 handbill for the Grateful Dead playing at the Marigold Ballroom. The event took place on May 12, 1967, were you there? Tickets could be purchased at Gospel Music (sounds familiar).
Attachments
grateful.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Same handbill as the above but in different condition. I was remiss at underscoring the title of this concert, which is so cool.

In the Land of the dark, the Ship of the sun is driven by the Grateful Dead
Attachments
dead handbill.jpg
Click to Enlarge