Agape Club

~
Come back with us now to those hot summer nights when half of Fresno's teens were driving up and down Belmont. Or remember what it was like on Fulton St. before Belmont took the title of "Fresno's Main Drag" Remember the Rainbow Ballroom? Post you night life memories here.
~
Drakonyx

Agape Club

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Does anyone remember a Christian nightclub called the Agape Club? It was out on Blackstone in what was then the middle of nowhere - about where River Park is now.

roland.jones559

Re: Agape Club

Post by roland.jones559 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:06 am

I remember the Agape Club fairly well. It was operated by a local Pastor Bob May and staffed by volunteers (mainly parents). It was only open on Friday and Saturday night and featured live music. The Ted Jordan Band was probably the best known band; however, my band "Rise and Shine" played there regularly (usually one weekend a month). Pastor May would also host an open mic night routinely and allow anyone to put their talent on display.

The club had once been a honky tonk style bar and the pool tables were still there and usually being used throughout the night unless Pastor May shut them down for being a little noisy when it could be heard over the music. There was a small fee collected at the door to keep the club operating, but it was more a labor of love for the May family. The club also hosted a few Christian concerts when they were in operation. I remember The Archers played there once, as did Nancy Honeytree, and an English Folk singer. I can't remember his name, but my band opened for him.

I joined the Navy soon after graduating high school in 78, and when I returned, the Agape Club (as I knew it) was closed. Pastor May did maintain a coffee house style place in his Clovis Church I seem to remember, but it never had the same luster as the Agape Club. That's about all I can revive from my memory today other than the location, which would have been in the vicinity of where Babies R Us is today.

ca4niagrl61

Post by ca4niagrl61 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:05 pm

I remember the Agape Club too. It was where Friant Road and Blackstone intersect....back then there was a stopsign. Now it would be in the area of Blackstone and Nees. That was a fun place to go to as a teenager.

roland.jones559

Post by roland.jones559 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Here is a picture of me and my brother on stage and performing at the Agape Club back in the day. To this day, I still play on the local scene. The Agape Club was a good place to start.
Attachments
agape-club.jpg