My Odd Cemetery Detour on Belmont’s Main

~
Come back with us now to those hot summer nights when half of Fresno's teens were driving up and down Belmont. Or remember what it was like on Fulton St. before Belmont took the title of "Fresno's Main Drag" Remember the Rainbow Ballroom? Post you night life memories here.
~
Lost Fresno Guest

My Odd Cemetery Detour on Belmont’s Main

Post by Lost Fresno Guest » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:17 pm

I’d like to add my memory of cruising Belmont in the 60’s and it involved taking a detour through the cemeteries at night. But first of all, I’d like to say that I never meant any disrespect to relatives of the Belmont Cemeteries, my wife’s Dad is buried there, although that happened much later. But after a dozen times around the circle to take another pass down Belmont, I would occasionally scare my passenger as well as myself and take a standard route through the neat parts of the cemeteries there. I remember hanging a left into the first driveway and driving far back into the grounds. The light from my headlamps would shine onto the various monuments that were really quite beautiful. If I felt extra daring, I would turn my lights off and slowly creep through the narrow paved roads, again scaring myself and the rider silly. Each time I did this the path would be similar as I liked certain large monuments and enjoyed seeing them. At one point I paralleled Belmont where it is somewhat hilly and twisted - that was always a creepy part. The drive was never complete without circling where the Egyptian style mausoleum is. Then it was out to go back onto Belmont for another pass along the entire strip of Belmont.
Attachments
belmont_cem.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 am

Are you referring to this one?
Attachments
mausoleum.jpg