Remembering the Fresno Guide newspaper

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Erie.mon

Re: Remembering the Fresno Guide newspaper

Post by Erie.mon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 pm

I used to throw the Chronicle in the morning, the Guide after school, then the Bee in the evening. As hard working as I was, you would have thought I would have made something of myself. I was told John Bonadelle started the Guide in order to have a Conservative/Republican newspaper in town. It lasted for a lot of years, but I guess you can only lose so much money before you quit worrying about getting the 'right' message out there.

Scott Whitney

Post by Scott Whitney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:10 pm

My brother and I used to deliver the Guide in the mid-60's. One added benefit - every Wednesday there was a discount coupon for Me-N-Eds.
(at one time Me-N-Eds was the best pizza in town - of course there wasn't much competition back then)

Donrie7

Post by Donrie7 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:40 pm

I to remember delivering the Fresno guide there wasn't much to that news paper reading these post brought back alot memories I thought I really hit big time when I started delivering the bee I had a such a large route 250 I would get up at 4 o'clock am just to fold and bag them I wish we still had paper boys/girls

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm

At some point the Fresno Guide went to a color first page, this one from 1977. But growing up, I remember the older banner as first posted on this thread. We were a Fresno Bee family, meaning that we used the Guide for other things than reading. No disrespect though, it was after all a home grown Fresno product. You will remember that everyone got thrown the Guide even if you never paid for it.
Attachments
fresno_guide.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Clipper cat

Post by Clipper cat » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:33 am

Spouse and I read the Guide for giggles. It was a cross between conservative rhetoric and tabloid sensationalism. Doubtful if even employees took it seriously as a journalistic effort . . .

Don Rieux

Post by Don Rieux » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm

I remember throwing this news paper i remember how nice and easy to fold the papers and how smal l the bundle came compared to the fresno bee i delivered both papers the guide delivered in the evening if I remembered correctly esay money when I was a kid now the bee was delivered at 4am four large bundles added up to 250 on Sunday morning I own two paper bags and filled them both front and back i delivered one bag and went home too pick up the other bag so I could deliver them those were the days hard honest dollar.......

Bumperman

Post by Bumperman » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:24 pm

KW wrote:
Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:47 pm
I had my first photographs published in the The Guide. I used to listed to the police scanner - had my mom drive me from Chestnut/Tulare to near the Fresno Community hospital - to 'cover' a SWAT Team callout. Took the city bus back, processed the B&W film - and took a couple prints to The Guide. Was told that they couldn't pay me - I let them know a byline was fine with me. Much to my surprise - FRONT PAGE news!

I threw The Bee (won a trip to Disneyland when I was the Fastest Folder contest at a Bee carrier picnic held at Roeding park) - and would help cover a friends Guide route ocassionally. Back in the days when Sunday was the only morning delivery of the BEE - I rather enjoyed getting out of the house at 4am - get work done - then mess around! (Doughnuts at Winchells at Chestnut and Olive with FPD).

Do you still have the FPD photograph??

McLane 1976er

Post by McLane 1976er » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:25 pm

I recall a photograph in a 1970s Guide of a Fresno woman proudly holding a piece of something from Paul Revere's historic home. The photo caption mentioned that she was touring it and saw a loose hinge or knob and wrestled it off and took it home. Quite the journalistic scoop. My folks had a low opinion of the Guide at the time, this did nothing to help that.

kurtsmith404@aol.com

Post by kurtsmith404@aol.com » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:39 pm

I threw the Fresno Guide from 1965 - 1969. My early route was mainly just north of Quigley Playground, then I moved to the Mayfair area, and threw the Guide ( and the Bee) on both sides of Weldon in the 3100 -3400 block ( and several blocks north and south of Weldon). My memory was it was a requested 50 cents, however free if the customer chose not to pay. My other memory was immediately looking at the number of pages on that day's edition when I opened the big bundle with wire cutters, which was left on the sidewalk in front of my house, as some were so thin they were hard to throw ( needed over 25 pages to make a good throwing newspaper) . After years of throwing the Bee and the Guide, I could curve a throw right or left depending on the porch configuration, keep a steady speed riding my bicycle on the sidewalk, and never damage a screen door , break a potted plant, or break a window. I made a good amount of money, and learned some very valuable life skills delivering newspapers for about 5 years.