My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Ancient Roughrider

Re: "Lost Fresno" My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

Post by Ancient Roughrider » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:29 pm

1. Harry Coffee's men's store on Fulton.
2. Nurmi's bakery on Belmont.
3. Morains ice house. Milk, ice cream, ice and fur cold storage on Belmont.
4. Austin's IGA market on Belmont.
5. Beacon gas station, 9th and Belmont.
6. Leonardo's market on Belmont.
7. Hendrick's swimming pool aka North Maple Plunge.
8. Chester Rowell grammar school.
9. Army/Navy surplus on Millbrook.
10. Sherman-Clay music store.
11. Stan's Drive-In on Fulton.
12. Roosevelt High in the fifties.

Rich from Redinger Lake

Post by Rich from Redinger Lake » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 pm

1. The Leilani and Luau Restaurants
2. The Broken Bit Restaurant
3. Tasty Delight on Blackstone
4. Yosemite Nursery
5. Rhodes Department Store on the Fulton Mall
6. Hairpain's Dairy
7. Laucks Bakery in the Tower District

C2H5OH

Post by C2H5OH » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm pretty sure all of the below were at Cedar & Shaw during the late 1960s:

1. Penny Candy (NW corner)
2. Perry Boys Smorgasbord (NW corner)
3. Colonial Greens Minature Golf & Golf Driving range (SW corner)
4. Mini Motors raceway (SW corner)
5. Orange Julius (SW corner)
6. Lesterburger (SE corner)
7. Cutler TV (SE corner)
8. Shell Gas Station (NW corner)
9. Chevron gas station? (SE corner?)
10. Gas station? (SW corner)

flwbdw

Post by flwbdw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am

1. Elwin Cross playing country music on KYNO until 6:00 am.
2. Having a KYNOROO card.
3. Fred Horns wood chips at Olive and Maple.
4. Tuesday is Red's Tamale day.
5. Flowers Dairy, cash & carry. (Grew up a block from them).
6. KMAKe dance party at channel 47's studio.
7. KMAKers dozen.
8. Seeing Marty Robins at The Big Fresno Barn.
9. Drag Races at Raisin City.
10. The old witch at the end of Van Ness extension.

flwbdw

Post by flwbdw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Also....
1. Juvenile Hall on the corner of Huntington and Cedar.
2. Driving north on Chestnut St. till it ended at the irrigation ditch.
3. Turkey shoots on McKinley Ave. near the Fresno Junior Museum.
4. Jerry Turner's auto wreckers at Chestnut and 99.
5. Romo and 3 Boys auto wrecking.
6. The Outpost Restaurant owned by Dan, Betty, Dana, John and Steve.
7. Lighting Records on the west side, later on Ventura.
8. The irrigation display at the Fresno Fair
9. Telco which had a slot car drag strip.
10. And the best drive in theater in Fresno, the Moonglow. It was flat so you didn't have worry about tearing the pan out of your lowered car.

xmastreelane

Post by xmastreelane » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:04 pm

* Indianapolis Hero (and tragedy) Billy Vukovich; His son Bill Jr. still a hero (and classmate) of mine.
* Going with my mom to the original downtown library near the old White theater.
* The 5 & 10 store across from the Tower on Van Ness.
* Walking from Garland Street to the stables on the canal.
* Riding my Bee Bike to the SJ river with my 22 across the handlebars; ammo at the corner Hardware store for 50 cents
* Laucks Bakery in the Tower district... still don't know how I escaped diabetes. Later adopted the Fig Garden bakery as depository of my lunch money on AM walk to Bullard Jr. High.
* Stealing Viceroys from Trowbridges mom, or Salems from mine, and smoking as I delivered the Bee to Van Ness Blvd, Rialto and Wilson customers.
* Bullard Elementary school (Ruth Gibson, Princicpal); later first class at Bullard Jr./Sr. High.
* Saturday morning serials at Tower theater (once saw Hoppy and his horse live in front of the theater; horse pooped)
* All summer tan at Devaux's swimming pool in Fig Garden, flips off of the 10' high board and sunday afternoon sneaks
into the Armenian culture gig in the back with great food and music.
* Cruising Fulton in 1959 with older cousin and his FHS friends. Later with my Bullard guys stopping for cigarettes/beers stored in the Waters Music store!
* Christmas Tree Lane with the hassle of decorating the yard, and getting in and out due to traffic (shooting lights on the Lane christmas trees with my BB gun caused meeting Lt. Haley of FPD for juvenile record).

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Colonial Greens Minature golf was at Maple/Shields. They did have a driving range on the SW corner of Shaw and Cedar. After that was gone I worked at a Christmas Tree lot there one season, right where Marie Callenders is.

VintageBry

Post by VintageBry » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 am

I was born in 1979 therefore my "lost Fresno" memories are a bit more recent than others. But here it goes.

1. Arthur's Toys !
2. Cafe Intermezzo
3. The Daily Grind, a coffeehouse that was near Fresno State
4. The Daily Planet, plush decor. And I bought my first legal drink there when I turned 21
5. Halloween in the Tower. When they used to close Olive Avenue
6. The candy counter at Sears in Manchester Mall
7. Christiansen's Market
8. Tribes, a decor and home accessory store that was in the Tower
9. The Sunnyside Drive in
10. Gottschalk's

MCKENZIEBOY

Post by MCKENZIEBOY » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 am

Southeast Fresno memories: How about the crazyass janitor at St. Helens catholic church/school who had the tracheotomy vocal 'buzzer' voice. Chased me and the gang off the grounds many times, had a nose for 'non-Catholics'

LisaMarquise

Post by LisaMarquise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Berkely's Department Store on Fulton Mall....the most beautiful store in Fresno. My gramma was the accessories buyer. Later she was at Rodder's in Fashion Fair. When I was a teenager we moved to the mountains just below Shaver Lake (China Peak skiing!), and made trips into 'town' for school clothes at Fashion Fair (Lerner's, Miller's Outpost, Foxmoor's if I was really lucky, Gottschalks, Weinstock's), ski clothes at Hubner's Sports, groceries at Hanoian's Market, and stocked up on wine and soda at Dominick's on Blackstone (!). My favorite thing was to go to Penny Candy for fun and visit my mom's friend owner Carol Gustonian. My brothers and I would get blacklight posters, candy, and fun junk like fake barf and rubber chickens. I got a psychedelic fringed paper lamp for my room there. We would stop and eat at the Hofbrau on Shaw, the Tea Garden, Carnations, or for a real treat Leilani's for Polynesian Chinese food.

I loved Leilani's. My parents went to the Refectory for fancy dinners. When I was a baby my mom got a picture of me on a calendar from Producer's Dairy. They did it as a promotion in the late 50's (anyone else have one?) "PRO-DUC-ERS spells Producer's. When you want quality, you'll say yes to Producer's!" I watched Al Radka's Fun Time ('It's fun time, it's fun time, it's Channel 30 fun time!"), Webster Webfoot and the local Mickey Mouse Club show. My brother and I got to be on the show for his birthday one year. I remember summers so hot that my crayons melted into a big soup after I left them out just for a few hours. We played outdoors with the neighbor kids after dinner until it got dark because it was 105 to 110 degrees during the day. As a little girl from 1958 through the 60's I loved the Christmas Lights drive along Van Ness, and Roeding Park and the rides. I had my 6th birthday at Storybook Land (Jack & the Beanstalk slide, the little Church, Three Little Pigs Houses) and went on the helicopters and carousel that had the clown faces on top. We'd go on the paddle boats, ride the train around the little lake and get pink popcorn, then go look at the real old locomotive. Sometimes we went to the Chaffee Zoo.

I thought it was the most beautiful greenest park ever (and still do) with it's winding roads and huge oak and eucalyptus shade trees. I wanted to get married under the column lined vine walkway there, or at Kearney Mansion. We lived on Flordora Street, and I went to Ewing Grade School (later at Pine Ridge school). Mom shopped at Country Boy Market and Long's. If we went downtown we'd drive by the 'new' courthouse, the old Water Tower and every time we'd see the tall Guarantee Savings building my mom would tell us that she worked there as a legal secretary when she went to Fresno State. When I was in HS (Sierra High in Auberry) I cruised Belmont with friends, saw 'Tommy' at the Tower Theater and Supertramp at Selland Arena. We had our Christmas Formal at the Rainbow Ballroom. Mom took us to Duncan Ceramics and the Fresno Art Center and Museum often. Once I had a jewelry booth there for an art fair. In the summer she let me take the Greyhound bus from downtown near the old Basque restaurant (yum) to go see my best friend in Ventura (Gasp! The days of not worrying about your kids being out and about so much. We'd go to the beach and Disneyland. I thought she had it made, but she always told me she missed the mountains and Fresno. I've lived in southern California since college and know what she means. Memories....