My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Moonlight51

Re: "Lost Fresno" My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

Post by Moonlight51 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Got the lyrics a bit wrong there. "Its fun time, its fun time, its channel 30 fun time. We're happy to see you, we hope you're feeling fine. We've brushed our teeth and washed our faces, now we're smiling in our places, its fun time, Channel 30 fun time. We're smiling....why don't you?"

MikeS1957

Post by MikeS1957 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:26 pm

"That large swimming pool on the Northwest corner of Clinton and Blackstone"

I don't remember the pool there but I sure do remember Valley Ford. I had an uncle and a cousin work there in the parts dept. My folks bought a '68 station wagon there and that was what I learned to drive in. Several 1st in that wagon.

MikeS1957

Post by MikeS1957 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:47 pm

Oh My so many memories here. I haven't lived in Fresno since 1998 and things had really changed by then and not for the best. Gangs of all colors, graffiti, vandalism, car theft you name it. I visited in 2001 and things had changed around a bit. 41, 180 & 168 freeways were connected. 168 was laid out and talked about while I was going to Scandinavian Elementary in the 60s. It was a ditch when we left in 1998. Visited again in 2006, more changes to the landscape. Again in 2012 & 13, found out that Blackstone dead ends, it's no longer 41 going to Yosemite, you now have to jog around and get on the freeway 41. Tall buildings no longer relegated to downtown either, this really blew my mind. Things I miss;

1. Me n Ed's Pizza Cedar and Ashlan
2. Di Cicco's Cedar and Fountain Way. We started eating there when Nick 1st opened the small place in the strip mall itself, before they built the restaurant in the parking lot. (It's no longer there at all I found out)
3. Any of the local do-nut shops. Just not the same out here.
4. Thrifty Drug Store Cedar and Shields, 5 cent ice cream cones.
5. Cedar Lanes, many a game played there and many nice meals with the family.
6. McLane pool most every day of summer. Airways and Blakeley's for a treat, especially Blakeley's (SP).
7. Any part of the local Sierra's. Camp Fresno/Dinkey Creek, Mammoth pool for camping and fishing. Shaver for cool temps, water sking and Boy Scout camp. Pine flat for fishing and water sking. Huntington for cool weather, week long camping and fishing, always hated coming back to the Valley.
8. Not too far to Morro Bay but far enough from the In-Laws later on.
9. Fresh vine ripe produce, melons, citrus and grapes.

DLWiebe

Post by DLWiebe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:22 pm

1. Sunset Drive In. Stuff the car with folks and stuff the trunk with folks. 3 movies for $3.50 a car.
2. All the movie theaters downtown (great matinee prices)
3. Coney Island Hot Dogs
4. The Farmer's Market (all kinds of food cheap)
5. The real Farmer's Market way out of town on Cherry Street
6. The Rainbow Ballroom (saw James Brown and a bit later Janis with Big Brother
7. The Tropicana on Blackstone had real jazz jams on Sunday afternoon
8. Sambos on Blackstone
9. IHOP on Blackstone (the Swiss Burger with bleu cheese)
10. The Inn of the Beginning in the Tower (early hippie wanna be hangout)
11. Tower Theater
12. Warners Cinerama as a Rock venue (Cold Blood, The Kinks, Mott The Hoople, etc.) I could go on and on
13. The absolutely great old Japanese restaurant on the West Side (the best tempura, the best everything)
14. Lightning Records had every damn thing you could think of, and if they didn't have it they'd have it it a day. The guy in the back could fix your stereo and/or give you the needle you needed to get back on track.
15. Van Morrison at the Saroyan Theatre (he was awful at the beginning, then most of the audience left, and he put on a great show).
16. KURV
17. Sam Schwan (Spelling is wrong. Best DJ in Fresno. Got fired for playing too much Frank Zappa)
18. Within driving distance: Pismo, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Dinkey Creek, Carmel, Morro Bay, Yosemite.
19. It was great, once I got used to how flat it was.
20. Pick fruit right off the vine or the tree.

jimnosophist

Post by jimnosophist » Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 am

1. Watching Auggie Garrido, Jim Maloney-Cincinnati Reds, Tom Seaver-NY Mets, Dick Ellsworth-Chicago Cubs, and Daryl Lamonica-Raiders compete as teenagers in Fresno
2. Darla Banks-Miss Teenage America 1963. Her dad-Red Belt & his 4 Buckles had a TV show on Saturday"s. Dave Stogner
3. The Hideaway on Olive near the Outpost. Johnny Mathis played there in the 50's.
4. Rancho Drive-In, Dagleman's Poultry Farm-West Shaw near Santa Fe RR tracks, Leilani Restaurant, Basque Rest. at Old Santa Fe Hotel.
5. Torquers Car Club and dances.Members Jim Shepherd, Mike and AJ Waymon, Joe Lewis, Gary "Rat" Riddle, Rennie Normandin Performer; Gino the Mashed Potato Boy.
6. MAG 7 Dances-Summer '63 Rainbow Ballroom. Bullard students: Rocky Morelli, Bob Mills, Mike Meadows, Tom McMichael, Dave Nelson, Bill Stone and one other? CINDERMEN-Fred Perry, Bill Brandt, Jack Cashion, Sam Sinopoli. ROADRUNNERS; Randy, Bill Bixler et.al. November 1963 concert with the RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS & DICK & DEE DEE.
7. KYNO-Drum-a-Thon 1963
8. Fig Garden Open-PGA Tour 1963. Ken Venturi, Mason Rudolf, Jay & Lionel Hebert, Don January, Bob Goalby, George Bayer et.al.

KW

Post by KW » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:15 pm

Kings Canyon Jr High with Gary Scelzi.
Going with Mom to Woolworths on the Fulton - hot Turkey plate.
Teds nextdoor to Woolworths.
Biking Tulare street out to the country - Chestnut to Clovis was a 2 lane road.
Riding the bikes out Belmont to the Kings River - camping overnight with my brother - kid fishing trip - no parents.
Bakery on the mall next to (near) Woolworths.
Swiped Vantages from cousin Petes dad - Virginia Slims from mom - smoking behind Safeway at Chestnut and Tulare.
Webster Elem schood - skipped Kindergarden - was always a year younger than classmates - graduated from Roosevelt - 2 days after my 17th birthday in 1978.
Saturday morning movies at the small theatre near Cedar Lanes Bowl.
Hanging out with cousin Pete at Sunnside Country Club playing tennis as his guest! (Then couldn't get to Fancher creek quick enough to do some real swimmin'.
Gave up on Fresno crusing - headed to Visalia's Mooney Blvd - lots less hassles - much more girls. Studio 54 West and The Shimy Shack - me a dancer - who would have thought.
A nickle for a single Reeces Peanut Butter cup after throwing the Bee in the afternoon.
Thriftys Ice Cream near K-Mart at KC and Chestnut.
Bike rides out to the airport to climb the 'orange' approach light towers to the East of Clovis Ave. - Man those Air Force F-106's seemed to be just feet overhead - oh wait - they were!

cfii_dan

Post by cfii_dan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:46 am

I lived on the corner of Clinton and Backer until the end of sixth grade when we moved out of town (I went to Norseman elementary school) and it was the funnest part of my life. There was always something to do within bicycle range. One time me and an older friend rode our bikes to Friant Dam and we made it back to Herndon and Willow when our parents found us. They didn't believe we rode all the way to the lake. Here's my top ten list of things I used to do there when I was a kid:

1. Swimming at the Maple Plunge and then the McLane High School pool or Airways after Maple Plunge closed. Sometimes went to the pool at Sunnyside that had the high platform you could jump off of.
2. Hanging out at the Fresno Museum on Winery and looking at the animals and exhibits. According to Google maps that's now the Discovery Center and Reedy Park.
3. Going to the Harpain's Dairy petting zoo
4. Hanging out at the Fresno airport. I could go to the outside ramp where the passenger planes loaded and unloaded. I also had a good view at my house of the ANG planes taking off and landing and Uncle Jimmy Weldon (from Webster Webfoot show) was also a pilot and flew a Bonanza. Also got to see JFK and the first lady at the airport (I was on my dad's shoulders) and another time Robert Kennedy rode by our house on Clinton in a convertible limousine going from the airport to downtown.
5. Going to KYNO and getting the top 20 list every week.
6. Going to the channel 47 TV station to be in the turtle races or to watch the fake wrestling matches.
7. Having birthday parties at the roller rink on Maple and Shields. I got a big blister on both feet every time I went there.
8. Playing little league baseball at Scandinavia elementary school. That was my favorite.
9. Buying a glazed do-nut for a nickel from the do-nut truck that used to go through the neighborhood.
10. In sixth grade I got to be a crossing guard at Norseman and that was quite an honor. We would go to school early, get the signs, and stop traffic at the Maple Ave. crosswalk to let other kids cross the street. It's hard to imagine that they let us sixth graders do that on our own back then.

Reading the other peoples lists bring back a lot of good memories. It was a good place grow up back then.

ROSEMARIE

Post by ROSEMARIE » Fri May 08, 2015 11:48 pm

D & D market Corner of Elm Ave and Church? Dick Fulmer was the butcher in the meat department.
Star Super Market corner of Elm and Jensen. I remember my dad always bought me snowballs cakes. MMMM! Roy was one of the nicest clerks.
Holly's department store on F St. Mom bought my Buster brownB shoes, if you were a kid you got a golden egg and mom bought her moo moos.
Bernard's Cleaners on corner of California and Walnut.
Loy Loy's Chinese cuisine was the best and Jon (john) the owner was the funniest/kindest man.
The Mexico Café own and operated by Alicia Hindman? The best food, the most beautiful and huge Mexican art pictures on the walls I had ever seen. My mom use to help out to waitress and my dad use to help out as a cook. My mom said the Fresno police station use to be across the street on E st. & Kern st.
I remember the little corner stores on West and Jensen and Walnut and Jensen. You could always find big pickled pickles and pigs feet UoooogH!! It's been too long don't remember the names of the stores.
I remember Mello Ice Cream the best banana splits that were huge for 99 cents.
I remember every weekend hearing the race cars at Kearny Bowl.
I remember the commercial: N_E_S_T_L_E_S is the very best chocolate! and Rocky and Bullwinkle.:)

Madeline

Post by Madeline » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:57 am

Does anyone remember the "Oak-n-Hickory Pit at Blackstone and Shields in the 1950's. Heading north from there - no lights until you got to Pinedale - then nothing after that until you got to Coarsegold. Also, does anyone remember the name of the restaurant located on Broadway and Divisadero in the 1960's? Also, I remember "Swim Park". Spent many warm afternoons there when going to college in the 1950's. Those certainly were the good old days!

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Yes, and there was a big Las Vegas style Pancake House sign somewhere nearby. Broadway at Divisadero might have been Stans Drive In. Late 50s or early 60s I'd guess.