My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
60smadera

Re: My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

Post by 60smadera » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Am in Ohio now, but I remember:

1. Channel 30 Funtime with Al Radka" (and the "Kid's Stuff segment)
2. KFRE Nightcall with Hal Mc Williams
3. Losing KYNO while going out highway 145
4. Having to switch to KYNO at night because KHOT "1250 in Maderaland" shut down at 6pm
5. "Incense and Peppermints" on KIRV (that song gave me nightmares for years)
6. Coming to "The City" from Madera to visit White Front ("come into White Front, and you'll come ouuuuuuut, better every time") to redeem our Blue Chip Stamps
7. And of course, Scoopy the Bee (more couch time behind that #$!#$!!! thing too; can't remember if that was worse, or that dog gone Formica Floor Shine commercial just before "Laugh-In" went off, or the full version of the NBC sounder, the peacock on KMJ TV.

Big J

Post by Big J » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:17 pm

My top 10, where to begin.

1. The old Fresno Falcons
2. Baseball at Euless Park (still can, I guess, but its not the same)
3. Arthur's Toys
4. Woolworth at Fashion Fair & Fulton Mall
5. Department stores downtown
6. I guess I can add this now - the Fresno Metropolitan Museum
7. A&W on Blackstone & Dakota
8. Foodland at the Country Squire center
9. Bob's Hobby at Fig Garden
10. Al Radka - period.

Twincol

Post by Twincol » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:07 pm

"Working at Bob's Big Boy" Greatest onion rings around! I worked initially on the drive-in, then inside. My BF and I used to visit the motel restaurant (the name escapes me at this moment) on Blackstone at Ashlan, across the street from now-Petco after I got off duty every weekend. My favorite cop used to provide security on Friday and/or Saturday nights to cover the drinking crowd. He would stand there with the most solemn look on his face and it took me months to get him to smile gently at me.

I remember him, and his name also escapes me at this moment, also providing after-hours security at McDonalds across from the fair grounds at fair time before those restaurant visits. I pulled in one night in my 1958 Volkswagon Karmann Ghia after having just a couple of drinks and clearly mildly impaired <gasp>. He made me sit there for more than an hour before I left for home in Sunnyside, which, of course made me arrive home past the parental-appointed hour. Given my inability to drink much of anything without either becoming ill or drunk I, thankfully, learned not to drink in excessive quantities quite young and this incident taught me that lesson. Many years later I worked with him in the emergency room at Fresno Community Hospital following his retirement. He worked with the security staff there. I can't believe it took until the end of this long long list to include A&W Rootbeer Drive-in at Blackstone and Dakota! Thank-you, BigJ! YES! Awesome floats! Major AWESOME! I have to make them at home, now.

bigboyguy

Post by bigboyguy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:35 am

I remember driving by the original Bob's Big Boy on Blackstone a million times in the 60's. I guess I felt I wasn't cool enough to hang out there so I didn't go there much. I was brave enough a couple of times but always felt apart from the super cool crowd there. Anybody else felt that way?

LP

Post by LP » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Fresno was pretty cool to grow up in, I really enjoyed the freedom to run around the neighborhood, ride bikes to just about anywhere without worrying parental units. Here are my top ten in no particular order:

1. the field across from Bellaire road at Cedar ave (my brother, my friends and I use to have some knarly dirt clod fights with other neighborhood kids). We'd dig holes, build forts, etc. Also, the church across from the field was great to hang around as a kid. Lots of bushes and cubbie holes to hide out during a hide n seek game. When I got older, some friends and I sneaked into the place in the middle of the night and rang the church bell (I know, bad kids!)
2. Ashlan Park, esp. Triple J's and Me n Eds. When we'd walk or ride there, we'd pass by an irrigation canal which ran parallel to Hampton way. There was a cement bridge about a foot or so wide we'd walk across, and ride bikes across which was a bit scary to do. The old Fresno Falcons games, used to go there every week in the early-mid 70s (my dad ran the scoreboard during the games, we would get in free and get to bring 1 friend each)
3. Icelandia: skated there all the time, played some hockey and started the first all girls hockey team. My bro played in the peewee league and was one of the top goalies in the state.
4. Burger chef: my mom would take us kids there right after our orthodontist appts where they'd tighten up our braces. Our teeth hurt so bad we couldn't eat solid food but we would def enjoy the shakes!
5. Harpain's dairy: lived on the other side of Cedar from this place, every time it was about to rain the wind would change and we'd smell the cows like they were in our front yard or something. Loved going there for the choc milk, ice cream and checking out the critters. I think I got hit by Llama spit once too LOL. I remember John Harpain, he was my lil brother's age and was a very nice and hard-working young man.
6. walking from Bellaire/Cedar to Sierra Jr. high for school: there was a wooded area we went through, with an open basement structure in the ground from a no longer existing house. We'd dare each other to jump into the hole in the ground all the time, there were questionable things in this hole which kept us at bay.
7. Big-time wrestling on channel 47. Pat Patterson and Rocky Johnson! Also Channel 30 funtime, still remember the song.
8. Country Squire theatre was awesome in my early teens, saw some great first run films there by myself without parents.
9. Sunnyside drive-in was also a fave, remember playing on the playground right in front of the screen before it got dark and the movie started. Usually as a lil kid though, I'd fall asleep before getting through even the 1st movie. Yep, we were the typical bunch of kids in the back of the family station wagon with blankets and pillows, mom brings pre-made popcorn from home in Tupperware containers, and a cooler full of tall Pepsi bottles.

oc4rubys

Post by oc4rubys » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 pm

1. Penny Candy
2. Fresno Guide news paper
3. Fine Arts Theatre
4. Bookmobile
5. Sunnyside Drive-In
6. Hanoians market
7. Ole Frijoles
8. Cruizen Belmont
9. Cruisen Blackstone
10. Walkin' Fulton Mall

ExExZonie

Post by ExExZonie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 am

Well Fresno Famous in all its wisdom has deleted the original wonderful Lost Fresno thread. The new site has no soul, either - it's bland and looks like a hundred other sites. Thanks McClatchy! Good luck with the financially-troubled Fresno Bee!

Sharlsie

Re: "Lost Fresno" My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

Post by Sharlsie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:29 am

I saw that too and was sad to see it gone. I really enjoyed that thread as it brought back so many memories of growing up in Fresno. I like this site too of course, but the other one was the first I saw of its kind and would just make me go, "Oh yeah! I remember that! Oh and that too!" Fresno was a good place to grow up in the 60s and 70s, boy I wish I had copied and pasted some of that thread. Darn.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 pm

They heard the "Over 50" crowd speak and graciously moved over all of Reggie Dunbar's old "My Top !0" list thread to their new web site look. As of just days ago those posts were unavailable, but now you can click the link below and scroll through all the old posts. Thank you Fresno Famous!

Updated on March, 2015, The link to the Fresno Famous Forum referenced above, has been removed as it is no longer functional (closed down). However, the majority of the "Lost Fresno" posts are preserved here in this thread.
Attachments
ff.jpg

jtbuzz

Post by jtbuzz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:24 pm

In no particular order:

1. Rows of Star Wars toys @ Arthur's Toys - Blackstone
2. Posters @ Penny Candy - Blackstone
3. Popcorn @ Sears - Manchester Center
4. Hating trying on clothes @ Walter Smith's - Fulton Mall
5. Crackers & butter @ Happy Steak - Blackstone & Clinton
6. Someone's birthday party @ Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor - Fig Garden Village